The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Queensferry Crossing Opens

JeremyC

Well after nearly 6 years building the new bridge across the River Forth is open. 

post-7313-0-74114500-1504100420.jpg

There is a lot of traffic congestion around it today, possibly due to folk just wanting to go across it on the first day, but I do question the wisdom of only building a new bridge with the same number of lanes as the one it replaces!

It's closing again after tomorrow, for a few days.  I'm going for a stroll on it this coming weekend.

Apparently the idea is to increase the speed limit to 70mph over time (perhaps to allow Fifers to come to terms with the idea of crossing bodies of open water at such insane speeds).  That should increase the throughput over the old bridge.  And it has a hard shoulder - it is full motorway standard, unlike the old bridge - so breakdowns should be less disruptive.  The intelligent traffic management system should also help keep it moving at busy times.  Well, that's the plan, anyway...

• RMweb Premium

It's closing again after tomorrow, for a few days.  I'm going for a stroll on it this coming weekend.

Apparently the idea is to increase the speed limit to 70mph over time (perhaps to allow Fifers to come to terms with the idea of crossing bodies of open water at such insane speeds).  That should increase the throughput over the old bridge.  And it has a hard shoulder - it is full motorway standard, unlike the old bridge - so breakdowns should be less disruptive.  The intelligent traffic management system should also help keep it moving at busy times.  Well, that's the plan, anyway...

And if it doesn't have enough capacity, we'll need a fourth Forth bridge.

• RMweb Premium

There is a lot of traffic congestion around it today, possibly due to folk just wanting to go across it on the first day, but I do question the wisdom of only building a new bridge with the same number of lanes as the one it replaces!

This is deliberate as there is significant opposition to increasing capacity as the majority of those using the crossing are travelling into Edinburgh which already suffers from Chronic traffic congestion. Thus one of the trade offs that had to be made to get the necessary legislation passed by the Politicians was that the new bridge would not increase overall road capacity over the forth - which is also why there original road bridge will be permanently restricted to public transport (and pedestrians / cyclists as there is no provision for them on the new crossing) rather than being kept open for cars / light vehicles (like the older Severn Bridge).

Obviously with the new bridge having wind shielding and a hard shoulder, high winds* and vehicle breakdowns will not cause the disruption they did previously so the new bridge will be more reliable than the old as it were. Longer term however plenty of people are saying that they can see the hard shoulder eventually being opened up as a running lane in the manor of the 'Smart Motorways' being rolled out across England to widen motorways on the cheap.

*During periods of high winds, public transport will be diverted into the Queensferry Crossing and use the hard shoulder as a dedicated PT running lane.

Edited by phil-b259

According to STV News, the old bridge is being retained:

After September 7, it will close for some time before reopening as a public transport corridor in early November

and on the official Scottish .gov site, the explanation of the two lanes decision for the new crossing (my bold):

There are two lanes in each direction for general traffic on the Queensferry Crossing - it is replacing, not increasing, the road provision for general traffic. The Scottish Government's emphasis is on public transport instead of allowing unconstrained growth in vehicle traffic.

Future travel growth beyond the opening of the FRC will be accommodated by increased use of public transport. As a dedicated public transport corridor, the Forth Road Bridge will provide additional infrastructure capacity for sustainable forms of travel.

Increased access

The FRC project frees up the Forth Road Bridge to be maintained as a dedicated public transport corridor. It will carry public transport, pedestrians and cyclists. In the future it could also be adapted to carry a Light Rapid Transit system, if it is needed

• RMweb Premium

And if it doesn't have enough capacity, we'll need a fourth Forth bridge.

Nope - if motorists won't get out of their cars and use PT then they will just have to lump it  and sit in the resultant queues is the attitude of the Politicians / Transport Scotland. With express bus services and Park and Ride available from the northern side its not as if there aren't any alternative options so their stance is quite reasonable.

Edited by phil-b259

Nope - if motorists won't get out of their cars and use PT then they will just have to lump it and sit in the resultant queues is the attitude of the Politicians / Transport Scotland. With express bus services and Park and Ride available from the northern side its not as if there aren't any alternative options so their stance is quite reasonable.

I live in South Queensferry and like most of the residents am totally fed up with the traffic gridlock around the town every time there is a problem on the Forth Bridge. During the consultancy period before the bridge was built the designers and politicians were constantly questioned and called out over the capacity of the new bridge as it was based on out of date figures. It is claimed that because the new bridge has an emergency lane this will alleviate some problems, but this morning a broken down lorry managed to close one running lane.

While I support using public transport I think the idea that everyone will get out their cars is cloud cuckoo land thinking mainly because I can't see anyone increasing the capacity of PT sufficiently. In fact we have recently seen reductions in through bus services to and from Fife and had to fight to retain a bus service to Queensferry itself

Edited by JeremyC