Bachmann BR 4MT 4-6-0: Sprung axle?

31-102 is a split chassis model, and first catalogued around twenty years ago would be my guess. No sprung driven axle.

The current 4MT 4-6-0 (cat nos start from about 31-115) has no sprung driven axle either.

If you want a BR std 4-6-0 with a sprung driven axle, Bach's 5MT. Only ever produced as a steel axle with wiper pick up mechanism. Needs some adjustment to get the best out of the sprung arrangement.

31-102 is a split chassis model, and first catalogued around twenty years ago would be my guess. No sprung driven axle.

The current 4MT 4-6-0 (cat nos start from about 31-115) has no sprung driven axle either.

If you want a BR std 4-6-0 with a sprung driven axle, Bach's 5MT. Only ever produced as a steel axle with wiper pick up mechanism. Needs some adjustment to get the best out of the sprung arrangement.

Thanks for that 34C.

I didn't think it would be that old.

I won't bother, split chassis is no good as I'm DCC.

It's by no means impossible to convert a split chassis to DCC.

Not difficult at all, solder wires to the motor tags instead of letting them touch the chassis halves, connect wires to the chassis halves and feed them to a decoder in the tender make sure you fit tender pickups. The wheels usually fall off because the contact between stub axles and chassis is poor and causes arcing which heats the axle and loosens the wheel on the plastic axle, Tender pickup helps dramatically as does fitting wheel back pickups to the split chassis. 

If you loosen the chassis basepate you could could possibly cause the gears to strip, I would file the chassis baseplate away below the axle, A sprung strip would probably short out but a couple of small coil springs in holes above [Edit] an unpowered stub axle would be excellent but need some quite fancy workmanship.

Edit On reflection I think the split chassis Mainline std 4 motor drove the rear axle and Bachmann the centre so the Mainline would need springs on the centre axle and Bachmann either rear or front.

Maybe if there is a non split chassis alternative get that and avoid a lot of hassle

Edited by DavidCBroad

• RMweb Gold

Not difficult at all, solder wires to the motor tags instead of letting them tough the chassis halves, connect wires to the chassis halves and feed them to a decoder in the tender make sure you fit tender pickups. The wheels usually fall off because the contact between stub axles and chassis is poor and causes arcing which heats the axle and loosens the wheel on the plastic axle, Tender pickup helps dramatically as does fitting wheel back pickups to the split chassis. 

If you loosen the chassis basepate you could could possibly cause the gears to strip, I would file the chassis baseplate away below the axle, A sprung strip would probably short out but a couple of small coil springs in holes above the centre stub axles would be excellent but need some quite fancy workmanship.

Note that newer Bachmann 4MTs (I have 31-115, the weathered green 75027) have not only dispensed with the split chassis on the loco but also have proper axles in the tender. The various electrical dodges permitted by the muff arrangement therefore no longer apply. The upside is that the wheels don't come loose.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling