RMweb

Summer Saturdays in the West book..Not St John-Thomas

DCB

I had a book from Swindon Library some years ago with a lot of detailed info on Summer Saturday loco workings on the GWR line to Devon and Cornwall.  It was not the David St John Thomas book, I have a copy of that, but I can't remember the title of this other book. Can anyone suggest what it might have been?

• RMweb Gold

If there is a particular period or date you need details of, I can check Dad's loco spotting log books. Apart from living on the Bristol & Exeter mainline, he often went down to Exeter and we had a holiday in Dawlish one summer.

You can see the sort of details he recorded on these pages.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4148-john-sutters-loco-logs-ref-bournemouth-services/

I nominate "Western Change" by Paul Chancellor, published by the RCTS.  One or two entries are not convincing, such as references to trains starting from Dartmouth ...

Chris

EDIT - see above.  Great minds think alike

Edited by chrisf

The Day of the Holiday Express:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Holiday-Express-Richard-Woodley/dp/0711023948

It focuses on traffic movements for a specific summer Saturday in 1960 and gives loco numbers for most of the trains involved.

That sounds very much like it. I shall look on the Swindon Library Website / Ebay etc

Many thanks.

Just ordered The Day of the Holiday Express  from Ebay, £ 2.80 inc postage.

Many thanks to all who posted suggestions.

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That sounds very much like it. I shall look on the Swindon Library Website / Ebay etc

Many thanks.

It's very cheap on Amazon, £3:20 inc postage. I may have just purchased one at that price, too good to miss.