16T Mineral Wagons in O Gauge

Focalplane

1 hour ago, brossard said:

I'm surprised that Dapol got this wagon so wrong.  You don't have to look far to find the right information.  If I can find it, surely Dapol can.

John

Maybe it is just assembled incorrectly?  I think that was a problem with some Bachmann 00 wagons using their standard 10' underframe?  And maybe even some of their unfitted 9' wheelbase 16T minerals? 

Or is it more substantial failings?  I never have got to the point when I can recall correctly the subtleties of the brakegear of fitted 16 tonners!

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, 26power said:

Maybe it is just assembled incorrectly?  I think that was a problem with some Bachmann 00 wagons using their standard 10' underframe?  And maybe even some of their unfitted 9' wheelbase 16T minerals? 

Or is it more substantial failings?  I never have got to the point when I can recall correctly the subtleties of the brakegear of fitted 16 tonners!

Bit of both! Studying Paul Bartletts excellent photos, there were some late 60s retro fitted ones with this type of brake gear but the cyclinder is on the non-clutch side. Until I take it apart I cant tell if they could have been assembled differently but every example I've seen is wrong.

In addition the earlier liveried ones were actually different 8 shoe clasp brakes but we can forgive them for not tooling every variant to be fair.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Bit of both! Studying Paul Bartletts excellent photos, there were some late 60s retro fitted ones with this type of brake gear but the cyclinder is on the non-clutch side. Until I take it apart I cant tell if they could have been assembled differently but every example I've seen is wrong.

In addition the earlier liveried ones were actually different 8 shoe clasp brakes but we can forgive them for not tooling every variant to be fair.

The 'new-build' 16-tonners were all orientated the same way, as they were built on a production line; when they were rebuilt, the orientation leaving the workshops depended on the way they were facing upon arrival. In other words, the clutch could be on either side.

• Like 1