Axle weights of oil burning GWR 28xx

eastglosmog

A query that arises from the thread on accuracy of weighing axle weights.  The oil burning 28xx where some 11cwt heavier than the coal burners.  This weight appears to have all been in the firebox (firebricks) and cab (extra pipework), so all above or behind the rear wheels of the 28xx which already had a load of 17t 5cwt.  So if it all went on these rear wheels, the weight would have put the axle loading up beyond 17t 12cwt and into the red route classification.  My query is, did that happen, or did Swindon manage to adjust the weights sufficiently to keep the load below 17t 12cwt?  Would they even have cared? 

With the limited development of the oil burning,  I suspect it actually made no practical difference as the location of the refueling points would have limited the oil burners to routes that where red coded, anyway.  However, had the scheme carried on and Banbury had obtained a refueilling point that was planned, it could have made a difference, as the eastern half of the Banbury Cheltham line was blue and the 28xx's were used on it for the ironstone trains.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Exactly what was the 11cwt incremental to though? If it was to the dry weight, then that's without coal in the firebox. Since the firebricks replaced the firebed of burning coal, it wouldn't surprise me if the weight in operating condition was little different.

According to the info, it was incremental to the full operating weight, so coal burning version's weight should have included the weight of coal in the firebox (although that must be a variable figure).

• 8 months later...

I am considering converting a Hornby 28XX so I too am interested though purely concerned with what colour dot to use on the cab side!

Edited by 81E