Loksound V4.0 PluX 22. How many Functions, please?

pauliebanger

Can anyone tell me how many function outputs are available on Loksound (or Lok Pilot) V4.0 PluX22 decoder, please?

I have read the respective ESU decoder manuals, and scoured various retailer descriptions both here (including SWD) and in the US but many give conflicting info, so I'm looking for definitive information from personal knowledgeor a reliable source.

I look forward to enlightment, thank you

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hello Paul

Not definitive or based on direct experience - But:

Martin Claydon's excellent website details fitting sound to a Hornby Class 31 (http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-31-umt/index.htm). Around 1/6th of the way down this page, he describes a harness-fitted ESU PluX interface Loksound V4, in which he finds that there are six amplified function outputs, rather than the four amplified/two logic outputs seen on the 21MTC interface version.

This seems to be backed-up in ESUs Loksound manual; section 6.10.4; specifically 6.10.4.2; which states that there are six amplified outputs on the PluX interface versions of the standard Loksound and on any interface version of the M4 Loksound (the translation isn't as clear as it could be, but I'm pretty certain that's what it means).

Hopefully of use, although I suspect you'd prefer direct experience.

Cheers

Rob

Hello Paul

Not definitive or based on direct experience - But:

Martin Claydon's excellent website details fitting sound to a Hornby Class 31 (http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-31-umt/index.htm). Around 1/6th of the way down this page, he describes a harness-fitted ESU PluX interface Loksound V4, in which he finds that there are six amplified function outputs, rather than the four amplified/two logic outputs seen on the 21MTC interface version.

This seems to be backed-up in ESUs Loksound manual; section 6.10.4; specifically 6.10.4.2; which states that there are six amplified outputs on the PluX interface versions of the standard Loksound and on any interface version of the M4 Loksound (the translation isn't as clear as it could be, but I'm pretty certain that's what it means).

Hopefully of use, although I suspect you'd prefer direct experience.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for your response.

I'm very familiar with Martin's excellent website and recommend anyone to pay a visit, thanks for posting the link.

I've conducted a lot of online searching but I have to confess that I'm not overly familiar with Loksound documentation, so I may already have found the answer and not recognised it as such. The more I've read, the greater variety of possible answers appear.

Here's my dilema. The PluX22 'norm' (NEM 658) specifies pin positions for 9 Open Collector FOs ('full power' 'track power' or 'amplified' are other terms which may be used). In MOROP terminology, that would be front and rear headlights (2 FOs) and 7 Aux (further 7 FOs).

When looking for a specific value of FOs actually 'on board', the Lokpilot manual says '6.9.4.2. LokPilot with PluX22 interface, LokPilot decoders with PluX22 interface have all in all 6 power outputs. Consumers can be directly connected.', but the ESU website says 'The LokPilot V4.0 DCC decoder has 4 function outputs which achieve 250 mA load each(the all-new PluX22 Version has even nine function outputs!)'.

The Loksound manual says 6 FOs, with the PluX version Aux 3 and Aux 4 are amplified, but are available from solder pads on the rear of the decoder.

Quote '6.10.4.2. LokSound V4.0 M4 - LokSound with PluX interface

The outputs AUX3 and AUX4 of the LokSound V4.0 M4 respectively LokSound decoders with PluX interface have an amplified end stage. Therefore one may connect loads directly. There are two solder pads at the back of the decoder for soldering stranded wires'.

Of course, this now raises a separate question about what purpose these solder pads serve.

It's hard to believe that the LokPilot PluX22 decoder has 3 more FOs than a Loksound, yet the table at the end of the Loksound manual says 6, which agrees with your interpretation.

I've yet to find a pin-out diagram showing what each pin of a Loksound PluX22 is connected to - that would settle the issue as I could simply count up the number of functions assigned. I know what is specified in NEM 658, so if the Loksound has only 6 FOs (which I find hard to believe) that will leave 3 pins unconnected.

Does a Loksound PluX22 decoder have 6 or 9 FOs?

What are the 2 solder pads on the reverse (described in the manual) intended to be used for?

How does the ESU Power Pack connect to PluX22 Loksounds?

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for your response.

I'm very familiar with Martin's excellent website and recommend anyone to pay a visit, thanks for posting the link.

I've conducted a lot of online searching but I have to confess that I'm not overly familiar with Loksound documentation, so I may already have found the answer and not recognised it as such. The more I've read, the greater variety of possible answers appear.

Here's my dilema. The PluX22 'norm' (NEM 658) specifies pin positions for 9 Open Collector FOs ('full power' 'track power' or 'amplified' are other terms which may be used). In MOROP terminology, that would be front and rear headlights (2 FOs) and 7 Aux (further 7 FOs).

When looking for a specific value of FOs actually 'on board', the Lokpilot manual says '6.9.4.2. LokPilot with PluX22 interface, LokPilot decoders with PluX22 interface have all in all 6 power outputs. Consumers can be directly connected.', but the ESU website says 'The LokPilot V4.0 DCC decoder has 4 function outputs which achieve 250 mA load each(the all-new PluX22 Version has even nine function outputs!)'.

The Loksound manual says 6 FOs, with the PluX version Aux 3 and Aux 4 are amplified, but are available from solder pads on the rear of the decoder.

Quote '6.10.4.2. LokSound V4.0 M4 - LokSound with PluX interface

The outputs AUX3 and AUX4 of the LokSound V4.0 M4 respectively LokSound decoders with PluX interface have an amplified end stage. Therefore one may connect loads directly. There are two solder pads at the back of the decoder for soldering stranded wires'.

Of course, this now raises a separate question about what purpose these solder pads serve.

It's hard to believe that the LokPilot PluX22 decoder has 3 more FOs than a Loksound, yet the table at the end of the Loksound manual says 6, which agrees with your interpretation.

I've yet to find a pin-out diagram showing what each pin of a Loksound PluX22 is connected to - that would settle the issue as I could simply count up the number of functions assigned. I know what is specified in NEM 658, so if the Loksound has only 6 FOs (which I find hard to believe) that will leave 3 pins unconnected.

Does a Loksound PluX22 decoder have 6 or 9 FOs?

What are the 2 solder pads on the reverse (described in the manual) intended to be used for?

How does the ESU Power Pack connect to PluX22 Loksounds?

Kind regards,

Paul

Hello Paul

I had in mind you might be operating well above my knowledge, and your reply has confirmed that :-)

The only thing I note that may be of use to you is that the Loksound V4 chips don't appear to be sold with a PluX22 interface as such. On page 8 of the manual (bottom row of the table), it lists them as being available with PluX12 and PluX16 interfaces; the latter of which happens to fit the PluX22 connector. This is covered in section 6.7 of the Loksound manual.

I haven't looked to compare this to the Lokpilot decoders I'm afraid.

I hope this is useful, if not directly answering your questions

Cheers

Rob

Hello Paul

I had in mind you might be operating well above my knowledge, and your reply has confirmed that :-)

The only thing I note that may be of use to you is that the Loksound V4 chips don't appear to be sold with a PluX22 interface as such. On page 8 of the manual (bottom row of the table), it lists them as being available with PluX12 and PluX16 interfaces; the latter of which happens to fit the PluX22 connector. This is covered in section 6.7 of the Loksound manual.

I haven't looked to compare this to the Lokpilot decoders I'm afraid.

I hope this is useful, if not directly answering your questions

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

No problem, thanks for helping.

This is exactly the sort of conflicting info that searching brings up, there is no central place on the ESU website which gives a tabulated, accurate and up to date list of features for its decoders.

I believe there is a PluX22 version of Loksound V4.0, so the info provided by ESU manual seems to be seriously out of date.

Kind regards,

Paul