Rastatt Tunnel Collapse

Foulounoux

Sorry that this is late but it was only today I learned of this

Between Karlsruhe and Baden-Baden the Germans are constructing a bypass of Rastatt on the key Frankfurt Basel corridor

Anyone who has been on this section of line will appreciate the volume of freight traffic it takes

The tunnel is an engineering feat due to the adverse ground conditions

Early in September (12 August I have now found) I belive the tunnel that is being dug collapsed thankfully with no injuries

However the collapse occurred directly under the existing line with the expected results

It says something about the German psyche that this has not seen the uproar that a similar incident in the UK would provoke

And anyone who has driven from Frankfurt south to Switzerland will understand how vital this rail corridor is

I will try and post links

Colin

Edited by Foulounoux

Serves them right for building a tunnel that is entirely unnecessary - I'm quite sure there is more than enough room for 2 extra surface tracks round there.

Jon

No room it's hemmed in both sides by properties You have freight local tram trains and ICE all sharing a 2 track line. It becomes 4 track before Baden

The tunnel is absolutely necessary

I think any trips to my boss in BB can wait until November

• RMweb Premium

SWR (the regional broadcaster) were reporting today that the line re-opened overnight. I read some moderately scathing commentary in Eisenbahn Kurier, but in the same issue of course the extensive freight diversions (some into France) made good photo material.

• Like 2