Pre-beeching density of railways

Deonyi

On a similar subject, I seem to remember reading a proposal in about 1964 to close all railway lines & convert them to roads.  They would obviously be very restrictive on loading gauge!  Can anyone else remember something like that?

Peter

Ignoring the fact that a road is (or should be) vastly more expensive to build than a railway.

Nowadays all the built in costs the government impose upon transport schemes just seem to make both so hideously expensive that difference tends to get lost.

I know at one time the French were claiming a TGV could be built at a tenth of the cost (per mile) of an equivalent motorway.

But then the French have vast swathes of largely empty countryside in which to do so.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it was just a bit later than that: Ilfracombe was 1970 , Minehead, Okehampton and Kingswear 1971

10628587723_b3cdc5fd94_z.jpgTicket from the last day of the Minehead Branch, January 2 1971 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

10068140334_9668367841_z.jpgSouvenirs of Okehampton and Kingswear, 1971 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

I stand corrected.