Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Esso 14t Tank Wagons - Silver

londonbus

Another question for the group... I've collected a few Esso tanks over the years and have started to personalise and weather them. Most of the wagons have what I consider to be the correct base silver (left) based on the various online and book sources of colour photographs. The Bachmann triple pack 37-668 is not only very badly factory weathered but also the base silver appears to have a distinct blue / green hue. This can be seen in the photo below (although it doesn't appear quite as pronounced on the images). 

Is this a Bachmann paint mistake or is this based on a prototype? It's noticeable enough to be annoying (if it's not correct) but the prospect of repainting and replacing the decals is equally annoying! 

Opinions & Guidance welcome. Thanks.

37588730311_9af95c6e31_c.jpg

37330472900_eb6dab8b96_c.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Another question for the group... I've collected a few Esso tanks over the years and have started to personalise and weather them. Most of the wagons have what I consider to be the correct base silver (left) based on the various online and book sources of colour photographs. The Bachmann triple pack 37-668 is not only very badly factory weathered but also the base silver appears to have a distinct blue / green hue. This can be seen in the photo below (although it doesn't appear quite as pronounced on the images). 

Is this a Bachmann paint mistake or is this based on a prototype? It's noticeable enough to be annoying (if it's not correct) but the prospect of repainting and replacing the decals is equally annoying! 

You might want to remove the duplicate thread.

The rarest livery for a class A tank wagon would be pristine silver - most would have been varying shades of filthy.

The odd tint to the 'weathered' tank wagons is entirely due to the overspray; it may be poor weathering but it is perfectly OK as a base for 'personalising'.

A rake of uniformly silver tank wagons would look far less authentic than a rake where no two wagons were weathered in exactly the same way.

Regards,

John Isherwood.