Modeling the Bluebell Railway

BluebellModeller

Every day I get closer to being able to get the Bredon layout- until that point, I have a few questions. How will I provide power to the layout? Is there a special terminal rail and transformer I have to buy separate? 

No particular type of controller/transformer needed - you can go with whatever you can find/personal preference (though of course some are better than others).

In terms of terminal rail - if you can solder, you don't need one. Alternatively now Peco make pre-wired fishplates.

• 4 weeks later...

Merry late Christmas, everyone. sorry for not keeping this thread very active but school and other obligations certainly get in the way, sadly I've made no progress save for a new layout plan to replace bredon...sadly it does not seem feasible for me to purchase that particular kit, instead i've created a simple british-station-esque design which will utilize my existing atlas track. sadly it's strayed further and further from the prototypical bluebell station, but it makes me happy, so that's that. imo its better to get something up and running rather than sitting around and waiting. also, i woke up on christmas morning to this lovely little loco under the tree. 

2rp661x.jpg

(why are my images posting upside down???? someone help!!) 

i've only gotten the ability to run it once, but it's a lovely little model. i didn't end up pre-ordering the p classes as i had previously hoped, so here's wishing that they don't sell out too quickly! :-/

anyway, that's all for now. going to the hardware store later to pick up some supplies to at least get a start on the fiddle yard of the layout. i'll try to get a picture of the plan later. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a good plan to me (and I'm still following!) the only thing is in your staging yard all the tracks face the same way which will mean all the trains running the same way. Is this the plan or were you wanting to run in both directions?

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't have time to knock up anything "proper" so I have had a quick play in paint to give you the idea I would go with. Feel free to completely ignore it, after all it is you that needs to be happy!!

post-22762-0-56555300-1514492855_thumb.png

I have removed your staging yard and added multiple through lines in red. These would have curved points on the end and allow access to them from both ends of the sidings. You could store multiple trains in each one, however you would obviously only be able to use the one at the front, I have made it with 4 tracks giving you 2 in each direction. I don't know how this would work in reality you would need to use your layout planning software to try that.

This is how most UK modellers with roundy layouts would make the storage area, and certainly how I would do it if I had a roundy layout.

I hope you can see what I mean, if it is not clear please do ask, and as I said feel free to ignore me!!

Gary

makes sense to me, however all i've got now is straight switches and I'm keeping this project as low-budget as possible so the layout was designed with that in mind using only pieces i have. therefore i think i'll be able to live with them only going in one direction for now but I'm sure as time goes on i will want to expand and change parts of the layout so i appreciate your advice, it is duly noted. :-)

uncharacteristically for me, i didn't procrastinate and this afternoon went straight ahead to measure the table based on my plan, tape where the backboard will eventually go to give me a sense of space, and temporarily lay the track for the first phase of my build (the fiddle yard). next step will be sanding the table (as you can see in the image it is marked up with glue, etc from my last failed project :-/ ), marking the tracks and laying foam roadbed, no ballast for this section since it will not be seen anyway. more updates as they come! I'm glad to finally be moving ahead and getting something finished, haha. 

1zwf95d.jpg

Edited by BluebellModeller
  • Like 2