What stock for an SDJR Class 2P?

Morning all,

I very much like the look of the Hornby SDJR 2P, but what would be the right stock/livery to go with it?  I haven't managed to find any clear pictures and would appreciate knowledge/assistance (even if it's just a link to a site which I haven't found!).

Many thanks!

Edited by torqueofthedevil

I have a Prussian blue Hornby S&D 2P as well and had the same problem. There are some blue 4-wheel coaches that you can buy from ebay and similar places that I believe are accurate or close to it. I have several. Hornby also sold these in other liveries over the years (Southern, maroon, GWR) which were basically fictional liveries!

• RMweb Gold

Nothing suitable available r-t-r. A reasonable approximation would be the Ratio Midland kits in SDJR blue.

(Or, of course, put Midland-liveried coaches behind it as a through service).

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

There have been some etched kits for S&DJR coaches. Most look to be close to, or even identical to, MR designs. I.e., they were all built by the MR but some were repeats of existing MR types and some were specific to the joint railway.

There is also the matter of the Pines, which was hauled by 2Ps back in the day. IIRC, that train had through carriages of other railways.

• RMweb Gold

The S&DJR prussian blue livery lasted until 1930 so the Bachmann LM&SR 57ft panelled coaches would do for the Pines....Six should do. Double head with a 4F.

The S&D coaches were built at Highbridge and whilst influenced by the Midland practice,were S&D products.

With a bit of artistic licence the Hornby Maunsells in SR olive would do. Stretch to the rebuilt Maunsells but they were built in 1935 but would give an impression of L&SWR oanelled stock......

Edited by nhy581

Long shot, what about the pre-group six wheel bogie Pullman cars from Hornby. Were they ever operated over this route, even if only occasionally? Mind, one would probably be maximum load...

The LMS 2P only came to the S&D in 1928 as an express loco so normally it would be on through trains of LMS crimson lake mainline stock.  So in the ready to run field the Bachmann Period 1 BTK & CK would be suitable.  Stanier coaches did not appear until 1933 so are unlikely to be suitable as from 1930 the LMS took over the S&D locos and they were ultimately painted black.

Chris KT