So I have finally taken the plunge and purchased an O gauge loco kit. Finally deciding on the Mercian models Andrew Barclay 0-4-0. The goal is to build the loco into a local engine to me which is 2219 number 17. Number 17 was delivered to Prestongrange and also worked at Lady Vic colliery during its life and is currently in preservation at prestongrange.

http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/raildiary/scotland78_htm_files/49.jpg

As can be seen from the picture in the link the loco features some interesting detailing possibilitys. There is a set of steps on the saddle tank on the drivers side and the back of the cab has been opened up at some point in its life and a coal bunker created/bodged. Fabrication was not one of NCBs strong points if you look at the picture of the bunker below. Also as far as I'm aware the bufferbeams and bunker where painted yellow with wasp stripes at some point which could be intresting.

post-12315-0-00037900-1507838485_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to write this build up in as much detail as I can as there does not seem to be much online about building this kit. Hopefully starting it tomorrow. Till then any questions feel free to drop them in the comments.

Thanks, JT

So first day working on it and not bad going. First off was soldering together the frames and spacers followed by the coupling rods. As Ruston mentioned on another thread regarding the manufacture the connecting rods where found to be about 1mm short. The way I have tackled this was by moving the position of the rear axel forward by carefully using a file making sure only to remove material along the way and not up or down. The spacing was checked frequently using the bearings a couple of temporary machined axels which the coupling rods fit on to the centres prior to fitting the top hat bearings. Unfortunately no pictures of this stage. A little bit of fine tunning later and the end result is a free moving rolling chassis. Will hopefully remember to take more pictures with the rest of the chassis construction. And if anyone knows how the fire box is fitted please do share as I'm a bit lost with it.

post-12315-0-91815800-1508104828_thumb.jpg

Edited by virginhst539