DCC Headcodes.

Scale7JB

It would be possible but would involve wiring the lights to different function outputs on the decoder. I know that up to six functions are available on some decoders (I have one from NCE) but if you needed more than that it may be necessary to use two decoders to get the total number of separate outputs you would need. Having said that, most headcodes only use four lights (six on the SR) but you would probably want another for tail lights. If it's a diesel or Multiple Unit you would want them for both ends, whereas for steam outline one end (the front!) would probably suffice ... unless it's a tank engine!

It is perfectly feasible when using a decoder with sufficient outputs. I suspect that a Zimo MX64D or one of it's successors would do the trick, if your loco has a 21pin socket, you can just wire the headcode lamps to the four spare outputs C,D,E and F. If it has an 8-pin socket or no socket at all you will have to wire the lamps directly to the decoder or install a 21-pin or new PLx socket and get a suitable decoder.

Your biggest problem will be that the headcode is carried by the lamps being present - not necessarily lit!

Hi

The biggest problem faced is the adding and removal of the lights. It was looked into some years ago and is currently on the back burner with one manufacturer I know. The biggest challenge is the pins, how to stop them getting damaged and keeping the female end hidden and small enough to be practical. Another area for real concern is the actual wiring "in" of these female connectors (and thats just an example of one connection type) by someone who may not fully have the skills. One slip and .......

For diesels

Have you seen the micro motors from dcc supplies? You could use that to rotate the numbered head codes via a second decoder and have them on a very small tape.

Actually I think that is a fantastic idea.....brain ticking over.........

Here is a steam loco with 12 lighting different lighting functions. 3 decoders used. It has all the head codes working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4UKIzPT590

I am still working on a Bachmann "Tornado" which has 22 independent working lights on it as per the real loco. Red and white will be available on every single lamp on the loco except the 2 high intensity lights.

If I had known the WC class also had reds I would have added them.

It is possible to achieve prototypically on any steam loco that had fixed electric lights.

Hope that helps.

Martin

Hi all and Martin..

Great video there..! I will be trying to get this to work on an LNER L1 in 7mm scale which had permanently attached electric lamps front and rear underneath the lamp irons, so what you have there on the WC is perfect..

You say you have used more than one decoder for the extra functions.. I guess you were able to apply one DCC address to all of the decoders on board? Would you be able to elaborate on how you were able to program all of the decoders to work ?

Many thanks for this and any further information !! :icon_thumbsup2:

JB.

Hi

You say you have used more than one decoder for the extra functions.. I guess you were able to apply one DCC address to all of the decoders on board? Would you be able to elaborate on how you were able to program all of the decoders to work ?

I started out with all the decoders on 1 address but it became all to confusing having 22 functions so I reverted back to 3 different addresses. As only 1 or 2 lights will be on at any one time this logical approach.

Now I would highly recommend adding isolation switches for the decoders for programming. Yes you can use decoder lock but I feel more at ease with the micro isolation switches.

See photo for isolation switches.

IMG_1475Medium-1.jpg

Once you have the isolation switches in place programming is simple and straight forward. I looked at which lights would be on the most and allocated them to the loksound along with smoke cab lights and firebox flicker. If I want to programme the tender I just pop it on the track by itself.

I would also suggest getting a 21 pin lok decoder and the 21 pin adapter from ESU which also allows you to have an extra 2 functions. With this in mind you can then add caps to keep it running over dead spots and extra hall sensors or read switches if you want a sound activated at a certain point.

Speakers you should have room for 2 no problems and a 23 or 29mm + 20x40 work well together. Dont forget to fully seal your speakers. Now because you are 7mm have you considered building a series parallel circuit and using 4 speakers as you have the space.

Decoders for function only you have a couple of choices here. Zimo 8 function (I am putting 2 of these into my Tornado along with the loksound)Lenz 6 function and TCS 4 function. I like the TCS but I got to say Zimo is the king here. I am really considering switching to Zimo for my sound and I have ordered 2 of their new sound decoders (still months away) and a programmer to trial. If I can get one right then the rest should be "easier"....I hope.

In summery

decide which lights will be used the most and allocate to drive decoder.

isolate decoders for programming purposes.

post pictures for all of us.

Link for nano LED's pre wired, time is my most important asset so I will pay extra for the pre wired.

http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/Prewired08mm0603SMTLEDs.htm

Scratch built working loco lamp for O gauge loco. Started out as a 1.8mm LED.

IMG_0075.jpg

Best of luck and I hope that helps.

Martin

Hi Martin.

Thankyou for the writeup, very helpful! It'll be a little while before I get onto the lighting on the L1, but it's always handy to know what's ahead...

I must admit I'm a big big fan of Zimo chips now after the success with the servos on the K2, I really wouldn't touch anything else anymore!

JB.

Oh, when you say to fully seal the speakers, do you mean the speaker box itself, or to allocate a sealed area for the speakers inside the engine?

JB.

This usually means sealing the speaker box or enclosure. The object is to ensure that the sound from the front of the speaker never meets or mixes with the sound from the back. This could be acheived by sealing the front of the speaker cone into a speaker box but then the sound that you want to hear is in a sealed box.

Many speakers can benefit from well designed porting to allow the sound emanating from the back of the speaker to mix successfully with the front sound. On speakers this tiny and using sounds of such low fidelity and volume, the hassle and constraints of room are more cogent and the port needs to be very well designed to be of any real benefit anyway.

Not really dealt with headcodes on DCC before, but is it possible to change the headcodes on the front and rear with DCC? As in I would want to change the codes for different codes of train..

Yes it is. I have done it on an EFE 1938 Tube stock train using the Lenz 6 function LF101XF decoder,where there are 5 lights for the headcode. It is easier on Tube stock in that as all light positions are present all the time without needing to add lamp housings. It just needs the relevant LEDs turning on or off as required using function mapping to assign them to F buttons that don't conflict with those for the function outputs on the motor decoder. BTW, the other output is used for the carriage lighting.

Archived