Bachmann Mark 2

Hi Ian,

Bad news! You can't really get super close!

Best you can do is the Bachmann version of the Kadee (or Kadee No. 20) or Bachmanns own "air hose" coupler. Unfortunately the mark 2 is different to the mark 1 where you CAN get close coupling with the Hornby version of the Roco close coupler, sorry about that.

Cheers,

John E.

The Bachmann Mk2 is problematic because they took the problems with the location coupling pocket on the Mk1s to a new level with the Mk2s... Kadee #20s should work. The Hornby close coupler should work, although it may be a fiddle to get them to couple up. Standard Roco or Fleischmann couplings will not work. I think I converted mine with surplus Mk1 coupling arms (to allow interoperability with Mk1s, not to correct the position of the pocket to match NEM 362)...

Adrian

Replace the Bachmann close-coupling arm, which is just as bad (not NEM 362 conformant) in the MK2 version as the MK1 version. Keen Systems sells replacement arms specifically for the Bachmann MK2. Roco coupling heads should work with the Keen arm. Kadees are not suitable for use in close-coupling systems because they do not lock the two coupling arms into a rigid bar, which is essential to get the geometry right on curves.

I use the Keen draw bars and #18 kadees ... no problems so far. I also use Kadees on Mk.1s (with Keen drawbars), Hornby pullmans and a Hornby Maunsell and haven't had any centering problems.

I use the Keen draw bars and #18 kadees ... no problems so far. I also use Kadees on Mk.1s (with Keen drawbars), Hornby pullmans and a Hornby Maunsell and haven't had any centering problems.

You won't have problems until you get to longer trains (6+ coaches) - the spring in the mechanism is only there to re-centre the coupling under no load. At a minimum you will see that the lead coaches aren't as close-coupled as the trailing coaches. Issues with running (derailments) may also occur, depending on the type of coach and the trackwork.

Adrian

You won't have problems until you get to longer trains (6+ coaches) - the spring in the mechanism is only there to re-centre the coupling under no load. At a minimum you will see that the lead coaches aren't as close-coupled as the trailing coaches. Issues with running (derailments) may also occur, depending on the type of coach and the trackwork.

Adrian

I only have 4 Mk.2s so haven't experienced that problem ... the layout isn't big enough for anymore anyway! Certainly with 4 coaches the gaps remain the same and there don't seem to be any centering problems.

BTW, the Hornby close couplers don't work on standard Bachmann Mk.2s.

I only have 4 Mk.2s so haven't experienced that problem ... the layout isn't big enough for anymore anyway! Certainly with 4 coaches the gaps remain the same and there don't seem to be any centering problems.

BTW, the Hornby close couplers don't work on standard Bachmann Mk.2s.

We run 10-13 coach expresses, so we do see issues that a lot of users probably wouldn't. I know I'd be happy with Kadees in the close coupling mech up to about 5 coaches - beyond that I've found the need for solid-bar type couplings (Roco/Hornby/Fleischmann).

Adrian

After much fiddling with alternatives, I found that one standard Bachmann tension lock coupling (as already fitted) coupled to one short tension lock coupling (I think it's 36-030 available as spares, as fitted to some of the wagons etc) closed the distance so the corridors just about touch. You need to keep them coupled the same way round though. Not like my Continental stock which is just plug and play!

Archived