RMweb

Subway Surfers

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

I just discovered this game because my kiddies wanted it on their tablets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subway_Surfers

Maybe it is a sign of old fartdom but I was a bit disappointed that somebody dreamt up a game where the main character is a train vandal and the object is to run away from the police by running along train roofs and jumping across other trains. I'm not really wworried on safety grounds (at the risk of sounding callous, if somebody has the brains to switch a tablet on and download an app then they should have the brains to know that running along a train roof is a dumb idea, especially if there are wires) but it is rather the tone it risks setting that vandalising things is just harmless japes and what's the big deal about graffiti and damaging stuff? Sorry if I'm turning into Mary Whitehouse......

I do agree, but for me the tone was set years ago when it became cool to "virtually" steal cars and shoot people. Old fartdom crept up on me some time ago. I'm off for a game of Tetris.

• Like 2

The problem isnt the game, but those people who possible cant discern between reality and fantasy. Video games give an outlet for those things which would be monetarily, physically, or legally impossible in real life. Thats the joy of interactive visual media, you can do all these things, and satisfy any of those "calls of the void", along with experiencing some sort if aspect of life which is either impossible due to technological limitations, or your own current situation.

Its been shown time and time again that video games dont cause normal people to act out the actions in the games, however if someone is particularly off mentally, no amount of anything is going to stop or start any sort of trouble. Humans have always been voilent, horrible creatures, but video games can possibly offer an outlet to those who may find themselves drawn to those kinds of things.

A healthy level of disconnect between virtual and real life is very necessary.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I do think the problem is the game. They're not coded out of any desire to do some kind of public service, they're coded to line the pockets of the coder. There's nothing wrong with finding new ways to make a buck, but I think there's a moral way to make a living and then, well, there's not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Its been shown time and time again that video games dont cause normal people to act out the actions in the games, however if someone is particularly off mentally, no amount of anything is going to stop or start any sort of trouble. Humans have always been voilent, horrible creatures, but video games can possibly offer an outlet to those who may find themselves drawn to those kinds of things.

A healthy level of disconnect between virtual and real life is very necessary.

The trouble I find with this reasoning is that children are still learning and games such as this blur the boundaries.

About 15 years ago I was fitting a kitchen and 2 boys were playing a game of some sort which involved kick boxing. When the mother made them turn it off as they were getting loud one of the 2 boys ran at the other and tried a flying kick to his head, he didn't manage the height so ended up kicking him in the chest this pushed him backwards into a wall/display cabinet with a bit of force that knackered one of the doors. The Boy then got upset as he'd hurt his brother,  he had no idea that the result of the violence he'd seen would hurt someone as in the game they just get back up again and carry on.

I'm not good with kids ages but they were between 9-11 (ish)

• RMweb Gold

The people outraged at video games today may well have played at ethnically cleansing Native Americans when they were children...

Oh no, it was Commando's.

One brought a penknife into school and during break proceeded to stab me in the back with it when I lost some task or was the enemy. He said they did it in the films but they carried on fighting. I on the other hand walked up to a teacher with a knife sticking out of my back saying something like ......Miss....Miss....it hurts....

Needless to say Mum was not pleased.....I reckon she'd only just got over that when I chopped the end off my finger swinging on the school gate.

• Like 1

The trouble I find with this reasoning is that children are still learning and games such as this blur the boundaries.

About 15 years ago I was fitting a kitchen and 2 boys were playing a game of some sort which involved kick boxing. When the mother made them turn it off as they were getting loud one of the 2 boys ran at the other and tried a flying kick to his head, he didn't manage the height so ended up kicking him in the chest this pushed him backwards into a wall/display cabinet with a bit of force that knackered one of the doors. The Boy then got upset as he'd hurt his brother,  he had no idea that the result of the violence he'd seen would hurt someone as in the game they just get back up again and carry on.

I'm not good with kids ages but they were between 9-11 (ish)

Arguably, parental guidance and proper education is neccessary to function in any society, regardless of video games.

At the age of four I hit my older brother across the back of the head with a (fortunately) small hammer. Nothing to do with (non-existent in 1971) video games. I just didn't like him very much at the time and it seemed like a good way of inflicting some pain. Tom and Jerry might have had something to do with it too. It was a valuable educational experience.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The area that has never quite sat right with me is the ignoring of age limits on games shown by 90% or so of parents...I am sorry but parents wouldn’t ignore it on an adult movie, so why buy an 11 year old a game rated 18?

Particularly by parents that don’t play such games themselves and are not aware of the full content.

Edited by Jonboy

• RMweb Premium

The area that has never quite sat right with me is the ignoring of age limits on games shown by 90% or so of parents...I am sorry but parents wouldn’t ignore it on an adult movie, so why buy an 11 year old a game rated 18?

Particularly by parents that don’t play such games themselves and are not aware of the full content.

I think that is one of the problems, many parents don't play these games and have no idea of some of the content.

The next generation wont have that issue. Unless the new content is way above and beyond todays comprehension.  

Video games have been around for a while now. Kids who played Daily Mail outraging games such as Doom, Mortal Kombat and Night Trap are pushing forty now.

It's [subway Surfers] not actually any anything new. I've played and enjoyed this PS2 game in the past: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Eck%C5%8D%27s_Getting_Up%3A_Contents_Under_Pressure?wprov=sfla1

And there's also a game based on excellent small budget movie The Warriors.

I'm with Jon, they've been given PEGI ratings for a reason. Poor parenting or mental health issues shouldn't deprive the rest of us from harmless electronic escapades.

C6T.

"If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Marcus Brigstocke 

How I spend my weekends is my business, frankly...

post-17811-0-82581100-1508864192.gif

• Like 3