SD40 how to create a 'rent a wreck' (hopefully!)

mabel

Just a quick (and long overdue) update on this project. The inner rivet counter in me has decided to replace the body for one without the dynamic brake bulges (I think that's what they are!) to accurately represent NREX 232. So no decals applied to this model. However, I have used the semi complete paint work to try out rust techniques. Using oil paints (from Ebay) and some cheap make up sponges from superdrug (about £1 a pack). Tear off a wedge, then tear off all the factory cut straight edges from the thick end of the wedge. Squeeze your chosen paints onto a bit of scrap plastic (or a palette, again approx a quid from Ebay), dip your sponge in and dab onto your model. Let it dry a bit and repeat with the lighter colour. If you end up with too much on your subject, either dab it off with a clean bit of sponge and/or a cotton bud soaked in warm water or isopropyl alcohol. Repeat until you are happy. I left mine to dry for a couple of days before sealing with Valejo polyurethane matt varnish through an air brush.

As usual, constructive comments welcome :)

I'd like to offer something constructive, but I'd say you've nailed it and I cannot offer ideas on improvements. I shall be borrowing your technique henceforth.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought I would revive this topic as I have just got my workbench back up and running after a house move and hope it may be of interest to some of you. 

This is the first time this SD40 has been out of the box since 2018! I was stuck on a definitive id for the loco, as no matter how many times I type SD40 into various search engines, it always comes up with the SD40-2 variant (with much larger rear porch). Patience paid off, and I found this leaser, CEFX #2813, being reworked by an American model railroader on YouTube. I will embed the link when I can work out how....

So tonight, I removed the body shell by removing the screw front and rear, that holds the coupler to the chassis. I pulled the couplers out, then lifted the body off. I needed access to the nose so I could push out the two nose steps as I have a decal to fit over the whole nose front. Next I trimmed off the two marker nose marker lights as my chosen machine was an ex Southern Pacific/Union Pacific loco so didn’t have them fitted. My weapon of choice is a Swann Morton No 9 blade. I managed to pull the wire steps off the nose without damage. A quick rub with a fine sanding stick, clean off with Micro Sol (all I had handy), and we are ready for decals. 

9BFACBD0-9079-4C58-9CF6-E463E2C9E0EA.jpeg

3DE90BDE-AD22-4F2E-8CC6-9CC8C577A366.jpeg

Edited by mabel
Fixing an auto spell typo

• RMweb Gold

I am using Microscale decal pack 87-1237 CEFX ex UP lease fleet, a fire cracker antenna from A1 models (no, I didn’t know they did US stuff either), and a SP style plow from Detsils West. 

The fire cracker antenna are £2 for a pack of 4, the decals were £6 from America, and the plow was £3 from ebay. 

596FC642-3289-4A72-9B3A-1E340E241201.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Final job today, fire cracker antenna test fit into cab roof. A1 models provide the antenna only. Details west version of the same antenna comes with a ground plate, although there are only two in the pack, and are more expensive than the A1 item. I had a part etch in my scrap box of what looks like class 47 engine emergency stop button back plates, probably also by A1 models. I drilled a 0.5mm hole in the centre and sat the antenna into place to make sure I was happy with it before painting and glueing in place. Looks ok to me.

070A97F0-B8BC-418D-948D-0FBB938B8A2D.jpeg

7807D229-041D-4604-B73E-8AEC9F872EC8.jpeg

• Like 4