Less Excess Express Locomotives (Sorry couldn't resist)

844fan

Hey all,

Got me another poser in this lump of steam obsessed gray matter you may call a brain and I need advice. I'm working on extending my roster of passenger locos for my CVR project and am a bit flummoxed on a matter. My story on the CVR is it is like the first steam railway with wrought Iron Rails before it in that it was founded to run goods primarily with passenger traffic taking a back seat at first.

But I realized that Passenger service would become much more important with the industrial movement in the vicious circle of more jobs being created more people travelling to said job site. So I'm trying to figure a good supplement to go with the Highland Duke class I have for Express duties.

My main want is something on par with the Duke and not a logical step up. I know the Gladston B1s would be a good match but I'm not sure on it. Maybe something similar?

Also the Era I'm going for is 1900 so anything for the 1880s or 1890s would be a good starting point. Again I'm only looking for ideas and I thank you all for any help very much.

• RMweb Gold

I asked what era you were modelling and then read this

Also the Era I'm going for is 1900 so anything for the 1880s or 1890s would be a good starting point. Again I'm only looking for ideas and I thank you all for any help very much.

but I couldn't delete my post as was on the phone sorry!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I gave it some more thought. Does your railway buy locomotives from external manufacturers (as the Dukes were made by Dübs)? I guess it would be from the same era - 1874? So you could have a look at locos built outside of Railway-owned workshops from that period.

• Like 1

I gave it some more thought. Does your railway buy locomotives from external manufacturers (as the Dukes were made by Dübs)? I guess it would be from the same era - 1874? So you could have a look at locos built outside of Railway-owned workshops from that period.

My railway will be capable of producing it's own locos. But it buys locos from external sources at the early stage infact it has a few American classes imported and modified for British running (All engines are locos from prior to 1900 so they fit loading gauge even before rebuilding. The rebuild is more for fitting in and stylistic choices.) The "Duke" Class in my story is actually a oddity as it is partly built at Dubs and finished at Crewe due to a production and contract problem (Still looking for a true logical reason for this). So around the era of 1878 through to 1890s would be fair game. I'm honestly thinking of a LSWR / SR A12 "Jubilee Class" 0-4-2  since they were similar to the Gladstone B1 class. (I would use the B1 class but I feel like I'd be copying a friend's railway picks.)

My railway will be capable of producing it's own locos. But it buys locos from external sources at the early stage infact it has a few American classes imported and modified for British running (All engines are locos from prior to 1900 so they fit loading gauge even before rebuilding. The rebuild is more for fitting in and stylistic choices.) The "Duke" Class in my story is actually a oddity as it is partly built at Dubs and finished at Crewe due to a production and contract problem (Still looking for a true logical reason for this). So around the era of 1878 through to 1890s would be fair game. I'm honestly thinking of a LSWR / SR A12 "Jubilee Class" 0-4-2  since they were similar to the Gladstone B1 class. (I would use the B1 class but I feel like I'd be copying a friend's railway picks.)

It would be useful to know whether you want some sort of design link between these locos. The Loch has a Crewe front end, Stroudley type cab and, perhaps, yellow livery. Were the last two features the ones that suggested a Gladstone? Otherwise the B1 is almost the antithesis of the Loch design, which has a bogie for flexibility on convoluted tracks, and small wheels to cope with gradients, whereas Gladstone was designed primarily for express duties on a relatively straight and level system. If you want to keep the family likeness of the cab, you could go for Gladstone's little brother, the mixed traffic D2 or Lyons class, (see some of Burgundy's entries or the Kemilway web site) which is similar in size to the later LSW Jubilee class. The earlier batch, with Craven type tenders, avoids the too distinctive Brighton inside framed tender design. However, the 0-4-2 tender arrangement was rather rare in Britain, with odd examples on a few lines, with only the southern lines, the GNR and the CR and GSWR in Scotland having reasonable fleets of them. The alternative might be a 2-4-0, which, as either inside or outside framed, ran on almost every railway in Britain, and the LBSC had several examples, including Stroudley's Belgravia class, which again had his cab design to maintain the thread.

Late 19th century 2-4-0s giving way to medium size 4-4-0s, the 0-4-2s meeting their limits on size

but still found as a mixed traffic type eg the LSWR A12s and GNR ones. The exception to this rule

is the LBSCR as big as you can make it Gladstone type and slightly smaller B1s. For light but fast trains big 2-2-2

and 4-2-2 coming in eg for mail trains and businessmen's all Pullman expresses.

For fast freight the MR and LNWR tried large wheeled 0-6-0s up to 6 foot in the MR case, more pulling

power than 0-4-2s. Abroad they had also fast large wheeled 2-4-2s a sort of stretched 2-4-0 with a larger

firebox for more power. There was some suggestion that Stroudly was contemplating developing his 0-4-2

Gladstones into this type.

At the end of this era, 1898 the GNR introduced the enormous by comparison Atlantic types.

A conservative railway would make do with a couple of classes of 4-4-0s, small wheels for mixed traffic

and large wheels for all out express service.

Edited by relaxinghobby