Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Orient Express to visit St Pancras International (02/11/17)

• RMweb Premium

Spotted on another forum and might be interesting if anyone is in the vicinity tomorrow

'Tomorrow on Tuesday the 2nd of November the continental rolling stock of the Venice Simplon Orient Express will visit St Pancras International having arrived at Dollands Moor earlier this morning (1/11/17)'

All to do with the new 'Murder on the Orient Express' movie no doubt

• RMweb Premium

It’s a great pity that this stock could never be passed for passenger use through the tunnel. It’d be fantastic to board it in London, and disembark a couple of nights later in Venice.

I’m not too sure about the new film though, from the trailer Rupert Everett doesn’t look right as Poirot. IMO the best way to experience it is the audiobook read by David Suchett.

Kernowtim

Such is the transformation of StP, that it seems to be filed in my brain as two, completely different, locations, nowhere near one another. One is frozen in a weekday mid-afternoon c1973, utterly deserted, except for two railmen sitting on a barrow; the other is 'recently'.

Both places are wonderful, in completely different ways, and I think it's a bit of a bngger that my oyster card refuses to take me to the c1975 one.

Would have loved to see the VSOE at either.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The 2001 "Made for TV" version has to be the worst, it used the VSOE Pullman Cars hauled by an EWS class 47!

Jim

At least David Suchet looked like the Poirot Ms Christie describes in her books! The TV version also did pic up on several other aspects of the characters thinking - Ms Christie did make him a 'Good Catholic' and very disproving of any attempts to circumnavigate the process of justice - both of which were fully on show in the TV adaptation.

In film terms however I agree that the 1974 film is far superior to the current offering - which from the trailers looks like it has been turned into an action thriller by Holywood rather than the murder mystery penned by Ms Christie all those years ago.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

When Rivarossi was still an Italian company, I managed to acquire a number of self-assembly coaches which kept the cost down, in a similar vein to Dapol and their current coach kits.  the only ready-to-run coach I had to buy was the Bar Car, which has "Venice Simplon Orient Express" on it.

Hornby International have done CIWL coaches, but not in their current form, vehicles done thus far have usually reflected prestige trains from times past. An opportunity for them?

post-7003-0-10819800-1509650067_thumb.jpg

post-7003-0-42568100-1509650066_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Given that there's about a million Poirot books, it seems odd that this one has been made so many times.

I'm sure it can't be the only interesting one...

There are other great Poirot books, but this one holds a special fascination. 12 people trapped on a train, and one of them must’ve done it, but which? It’s a fantastic book. Absolutely zero action, it’s all in the psychology of the individual and Poirot’s little grey cells. The new film has an all star cast, but Branagh just looks so wrong as Poirot. He’s not short, balding, fat and with an egg shaped head. And his moustache is far more along the walrus line than a fussy little Belgian affair. We shall see, but I’m unconvinced.

When Rivarossi was still an Italian company, I managed to acquire a number of self-assembly coaches which kept the cost down, in a similar vein to Dapol and their current coach kits.  the only ready-to-run coach I had to buy was the Bar Car, which has "Venice Simplon Orient Express" on it.

Hornby International have done CIWL coaches, but not in their current form, vehicles done thus far have usually reflected prestige trains from times past. An opportunity for them?

attachicon.gifP1480569A.jpg

attachicon.gifP1480566A.jpg

I've got a set of Rivarossi Wagon Lits cars, maybe a 4 car set including a Frnch style corrugated steel coach.

• RMweb Gold

There are other great Poirot books, but this one holds a special fascination. 12 people trapped on a train, and one of them must’ve done it, but which? It’s a fantastic book. Absolutely zero action, it’s all in the psychology of the individual and Poirot’s little grey cells. The new film has an all star cast, but Branagh just looks so wrong as Poirot. He’s not short, balding, fat and with an egg shaped head. And his moustache is far more along the walrus line than a fussy little Belgian affair. We shall see, but I’m unconvinced.

I saw a trailer for the film on the 'net earlier today and apart from Branagh's ridiculous moustache (more Petain than Poirot) there seems to be an awful lot of CGI and the train comes to a halt on a timber trestle bridge of amazingly US appearance.  There might well be some good acting but some of the thing film is certainly going to stretch credulity beyond breaking point.

Please don't go encouraging them to make even more Pullmans