RMweb

Shaping Sugarcube Speaker Enclosure

justin1985

Still planning my first DCC sound conversion (Farish 37). Now I've figured out the wiring for the lighting, I've moved on to trying to figure out where to put the speaker. At least to begin with, I'd prefer to avoid hacking the chassis too much, so I was planning to fit it in the space occupied by one of the cab interior units. 

The Zimo sugar cube speaker I've got is roughly the same size as the space I've got, but it would need curving to fit the roof profile. 

How should I go about trying to shape the enclosure? I seem to remember advice that attempting to melt it with a soldering iron is better than trying to hack it with a file? I know that building a new enclosure from plasticard into the roof space is an option, but again I'd rather start off with a reversible solution. 

Thanks

Justin

Hi Justin.

I used the side of my soldering iron tip to gradually reshape the enclosure of a sugar cube speaker to fit in the cab of a farish 37. It worked really well and the enclosure remained sealed as the heat melts and re-seals as you shape it.

The sound quality was fine, will probably have a video somewhere of the end result.

Cheers

Stu