Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

N Gauge controllers

Mike W3

I've just got my first N gauge loco - a Dapol class 27. It's instructions say to use a specific N Gauge controller but I though controllers for OO would be suitable. I have a Gaugemaster Combi, which does fine for a small layout and didn't really want to fork out more cash for a controller. 

thanks

Mike

I have both Dapol and Farish locos and use the controllers made by Bachmann that come in their trainsets. I haven't had any problems with these controllers and the locos all run well. Gaugemaster make very good controllers and I'm sure the one you have will be fine.

I would hazard a guess and think that Dapol may be inferring that very old Hornby, Triangle and H&M controllers are not suitable for their locos.

If in doubt you could contact Gaugemaster and Dapol for advice.

I have both Dapol and Farish locos and use the controllers made by Bachmann that come in their trainsets. I haven't had any problems with these controllers and the locos all run well. Gaugemaster make very good controllers and I'm sure the one you have will be fine.

I would hazard a guess and think that Dapol may be inferring that very old Hornby, Triangle and H&M controllers are not suitable for their locos.

If in doubt you could contact Gaugemaster and Dapol for advice.

I phoned Dapol earlier and they said it's something to do with N gauge loco's only being 9v and 00 loco's are 12v. It's something I've not heard about before and Gaugemaster certainly advertise their controllers for both 00 and N. Anyway it's only a small layout, so it won't have the speed turned up much, so I can't see how that would hurt the locos. I've had a go and it seems to work fine so far!

thanks

Mike

I've not heard about N Gauge locos being 9v but have heard that some of the older Dapol locos run better with a 9v controller apparently Marklin controllers for Z scale are suitable for N as well.

I suppose that if you ran your N Gauge loco at maximum speed on your Gaugemaster controller you might burn the motor out but most modellers are unlikely to do that.

The cheapie Bachmann controllers I use are for both N and 00 gauge, I'm not sure what their maximum output is.

I phoned Dapol earlier and they said it's something to do with N gauge loco's only being 9v and 00 loco's are 12v. It's something I've not heard about before and Gaugemaster certainly advertise their controllers for both 00 and N. Anyway it's only a small layout, so it won't have the speed turned up much, so I can't see how that would hurt the locos. I've had a go and it seems to work fine so far!

thanks

Mike

Dapol need to read their own instructions on their own website. They don't have instructions for much on their website but the A4 instructions say 12 volt. See https://www.Dapol.co.uk/pdfs/A4Instructions.pdf , It does say that you should use a suitable N gauge controller rather than an OO one. This does not sit well with the fact that the market leader in controllers has always sold their smaller controllers as suitable for OO and N. Also Graham Farish N gauge is recognised as being 12 volt. I don't see how Dapol think they can change the standards on a whim, especially when 9 volt controllers are pretty much non existent.

Would the consensus be that I should be Ok using my Gaugemaster controller, providing I don't use full power (not that I'll need to an small terminus station layouts!) then? I might contact Gaugemaster as well about it.

thanks

Mike

I use Gaugemaster controllers and haven't had a motor blow yet (touch wood). Can't say the same for some of the lights though. Based on my limited experience I would guess it is more likely to be the electronics used on the PC board to control the lights that can't cope with an occasional over voltage spike than the motors not coping with 12 volts. I have been told that some modern controllers can produce occasional voltage spikes but I haven't tested mine. 

I would like to see a statement from Dapol as the start point might have been a misunderstanding but in the meantime I will carry on with my 12 volt controllers.

My fleet of both Dapol and Farish stock have to work hard at exhibitions. 

• Like 1

I'd have thought it would make sense to run N gauge locomotives using controllers that are designed and recommended for use with N gauge equipment. N gauge motors can be delicate and there is potential for harm to them by using controllers not specifically designed for them. Why take the risk?

G. 

I'd have thought it would make sense to run N gauge locomotives using controllers that are designed and recommended for use with N gauge equipment. N gauge motors can be delicate and there is potential for harm to them by using controllers not specifically designed for them. Why take the risk?

G. 

The point is that controllers made by companies such as Gaugemaster and Kato are stated as being N gauge controllers (usually stated as suitable for N and OO) but give out a maximum of 12 or 13 volts which is way above the 9 volts apparently recommended by phone by Dapol. I am not aware of a 0-9 volt model railway controller that is commonly available in the UK as 12 volts has always been the standard.

The point is that controllers made by companies such as Gaugemaster and Kato are stated as being N gauge controllers (usually stated as suitable for N and OO) 

That doesn't sound like they are designed specifically for N but is a more generic marketing tag. They may be okay but it's always a risk.

The first post was about suitable controllers for N gauge rather than Dapol models only having 9v motors. That issue (9v for Dapol) is unsubstantiated and only hearsay AFAIA.

G.

Lots of 00 controllers put out 19 volts or more.   Dapol motors may well be optimised for 9 volts but my experience is that N gauge controllers have lower settings on their overload cut outs and are not suitable for 00, yes it was a bargain buy off Ebay but the cut out trips at anything over a brisk trot for a Bachmann pannier and will barely let a Triang chassis crawl before tripping. A 1/2 amp cut out should be about right for N gauge and 1 amp for 00.  

I quite happily put two 00 controllers to feed the same train when triple heading Triang Transcon Diesels, it makes the fishplates glow red on occasions but hasn't set anything on fire yet.