Looking back at photos I took in the late '60s of diesel shunters I was reminded that I was puzzled at the time by the significance of the colour of the buffer beam. From around the time that the blue livery was introduced the bufferbeam was often painted yellow at repaint - even on locos that retained green through a works visit with a "TU&V". However, this was not universal and I recorded black and red on blue locos.

I'm still puzzled after all these years- was it just the whim of the works concerned? This seems unlikely bearing in mind that, at the time, the Corporate Image Manual laid down standards into tiny details that had to be obeyed..

And then there's coupling rod colour....

Haven't posted any photos because words describe well, but will do so if the interest is there...

• RMweb Premium

Looking back at photos I took in the late '60s of diesel shunters I was reminded that I was puzzled at the time by the significance of the colour of the buffer beam. From around the time that the blue livery was introduced the bufferbeam was often painted yellow at repaint - even on locos that retained green through a works visit with a "TU&V". However, this was not universal and I recorded black and red on blue locos.

I'm still puzzled after all these years- was it just the whim of the works concerned? This seems unlikely bearing in mind that, at the time, the Corporate Image Manual laid down standards into tiny details that had to be obeyed..

And then there's coupling rod colour....

Haven't posted any photos because words describe well, but will do so if the interest is there...

There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule, smaller classes maybe more uniform but definitely not the case for 03s and 08s, infact I have seen all three versions in one photo.

Dave