Lining the Turbomotive and finishing the project

Coldgunner

Some time ago I picked up a second hand Turbomotive in O scale. It was a working model when I received it with some work that needed doing to it.

35594822656_81e988a281_c.jpgDSC_7629 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

So far, I've fixed the buffers, installed a DCC chip, scrathbuilt new roof vents from scrap brass and made a new drawbar to fix the snapped one it came with. I wan't to have a crack at hand lining the loco. Now I have two reference points to work with at the moment.

1. My Hornby 6201 Princess Elizabeth (newer, non-dcc tooling) and...

2. The book "The LMS Turbomotive: From Evolution to Legacy". The latter is a great reference, all bar the colour. I'm really not sure on the exact colour of the lining. I do have some Humbrol 69 which is a close yellow, but I can't seem to find any information on the exact colour used. I'm presuming its the same tone as the standard Princess loco's. The lining looks relatively simple and I think I can do it with masking tape and a brush.

3. Should the wheels be Crimson Lake or Black? And if they were Crimson Lake, were they lined?

4. Finally, should the lining be red, black, yellow, black, red or just red, yellow, red?

Most of the pictures of Lizzy online supports the Hornby style of lining, so it makes a nice, physical point of reference for me to work on.

Edited by Coldgunner

Nick Dunhill had a thread on building a Terbomotive on here in the 7mm section and on his facebook pages. It may have pictures of the completed painted loco.

Hope that helps.

I may be able to get a photo from the owner - a fellow Soggies member.

DaveC

Edited by davec.hh
  • Like 1