Well the front of some of the buildings have been given a coat of acrylic varnish to help seal the card and provide a base for the paint.

You know what this means, if I'm nearly at the painting stage, the Domestic Overlord will kill me, due to the inevitable mess, I can walk past B&Q and get covered in paint :(

Well I did a little work at knocking together a shop interior, I think I may have to rethink this......

post-18718-0-53267900-1512595896_thumb.jpg

Thankfully I have not permanently attached these to the model, still it give me space for improvement, I suppose a good start would be to decide what the shop sells....I need help, perhaps I should call on the Domestic Overlord for assistance?

post-18718-0-32762800-1512595913_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have even managed to get the first coat of paint added to the corner pub, my aim is to portray a typically grubby stucco face frontage, I am still working out what colour to paint the pub frontage.

post-18718-0-95350500-1512596310_thumb.jpg

I still need to work on a few areas, but I think its looking a bit grubby.

post-18718-0-47247600-1512596337_thumb.jpg

The big question is what name should adorn pub, but I think I will have lots of time to decide this

post-18718-0-44432900-1512596355_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Looking good there Paul. Excellent scratchbuilding/architectural modelling going on. SWMBO will no doubt give great advice on the types of shops that might adorn such a street, however, be prepared for jewelers, hairdressers, coffee shops, boutique's, ladies fashions and a handbag/hat emporium!!!! You could sneak in a gentleman's hunting/ outdoor pursuits shop/model shop/bookies/barbers etc to even it up! oh and of course a greasy spoon or chippy!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well despite some people claiming that its been Christmas (my lack of presents suggests otherwise) I have managed to get a little modelling time in between the domestic chores (oh the life of a domestics slave :)).

Anyway the modelling has been concentrated on the buildings that form street along the front of the layout and trying to get a little bit of interest by working on the roofs and adding my representation of slates, in N gauge.

I decided to make a start on one of the more unusual roofs (simple hipped roofs are better :) the one on the top of the corner pub, so I started by making th roof up as a sub assembly.

post-18718-0-97000400-1514629182_thumb.jpg

This way you can make adjustments more easily, without the actual building getting in the way, once its completed and I am happy with it, I think cover it in graph paper so that I have a reference point for adding strips of slates.

post-18718-0-49251500-1514629201_thumb.jpg

post-18718-0-66138300-1514629225_thumb.jpg

Then the fun of cutting and applying endless strips of slates begins, which believe it or not I actually enjoy, sometime later after drinking various amounts of booze and the occasional outburst of industrial language I had the below.

post-18718-0-11735100-1514629250_thumb.jpg

All I need to do know is add some paint and then get on with all the windows that are needed for the buildings so I better get a move on, I will have loads of modelling time once I have finished the, Ironing, Washing, Hoovering, Dusting, Shopping, Cooking, Washing up, Making the tea, Remaking the tea because it was not good enough....................Oh the joys of life

Well the Domestic Overlord very kindly granted me some modelling time, so I applied a little paint to the Pub to try and get it looking a little more realistic, and I even managed to make a fir some windows........at this rate of progress I may have the street finished in a mere couple of years :)

post-18718-0-66452100-1515195399_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year and well done Paul - coming along very nicely. An interior will really help especially when lit up. I put one in my pub; bar, pumps, optics, tables, chairs etc but you cant see it at all unless you are a contortionist!!

Severn Models do an exceptionally nice etched kit with furniture items (bed, wardrobes, dresser, mirror, chair etc), Very easy to put together and paint. I have several of their kits. 2, 4 & 7mm catered for. Usual disclaimer - no vested interested, just a satisfied customer.

http://severnmodels.com/epages/eshop1179816.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop1179816/Products/N19

Ian

post-21193-0-96126200-1515661684_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress, slow or not is still progress!

Mine has been unfortunately interrupted by some necessary decorating and repairs at home. Plus, my wife being a teacher now has two weeks off, so spending time with her is taking priority over anything else. Normal modelling will be restored sometime later this month!!!

Good luck and I see it is coming along nicely.

Ian 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I noticed, but no-one is going to pester you for an update. You post when you can and have something to post about. Or, like me, you will have a gap of two or three weeks/months, and suddenly post a load of pictures with lots of progress on the layout/kit or project you have been engrossed in.

Enthusiasm and modelling mojo can sometime hamper things as well as sometimes we need a break, cover down on domestic responsibilities, work commitments etc, so no-one expects regular and prompt updates! 

Hopefully you have been working hard on the layout or at least ideas for the layout so you will have something good to show us soon.

If not, enjoy your sleep!

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy New Year and well done Paul - coming along very nicely. An interior will really help especially when lit up. I put one in my pub; bar, pumps, optics, tables, chairs etc but you cant see it at all unless you are a contortionist!!

Severn Models do an exceptionally nice etched kit with furniture items (bed, wardrobes, dresser, mirror, chair etc), Very easy to put together and paint. I have several of their kits. 2, 4 & 7mm catered for. Usual disclaimer - no vested interested, just a satisfied customer.

http://severnmodels.com/epages/eshop1179816.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop1179816/Products/N19

Ian

They look fantastic, I have been thinking about Severn Models stuff for some time, are they that easy to put together?, do you solder or glue??...........sorry to hi-jack the thread, which I am enjoying immensely....Thank You.

Rgds..........Mike

Edited by ikks

• RMweb Gold

They look fantastic, I have been thinking about Severn Models stuff for some time, are they that easy to put together?, do you solder or glue??...........sorry to hi-jack the thread, which I am enjoying immensely....Thank You.

Rgds..........Mike

The Severn Models range are really superb in 2mm, 4mm and 7mm and can be soldered or superglued. I superglued my stuff but now I have got more into soldering, I will probably solder the next kits I get (interested in the new sheds/out buildings they have just released).

Edit: They really are simple to put together, with very clear instructions, all fold lines half etched, tabs to help secure edges and fold up in very ingenious ways. Simply scratch the joining surfaces with wet n dry or a fibreglass pencil, and either glue or solder. Keep square when needed and you will be fine. The detail is really crisp and I really cant recommend them enough.

Take a look at their thread in the small suppliers section on RM Web or there website. They have tips on painting and assembly and he often attends shows where he is more than happy to talk to you about the products.

The permenant way hut below and tools are from Severn.

post-21193-0-07034600-1531222842_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1