RMweb

Cardiff Docks, new freight traffic ?

I fear this traffic will be only a short-term one; those blocks look very similar to those to be seen until quite recently around various bridge renewals in Eastern Cardiff. As regards the wagons; though nominally intended for steel plate traffic, they've been used for all sorts of things, from steel coils to trailers for the British Army.

1100 new SPAs were constructed between 1979 and 1981.

Unfortunately at the same time British Steel was looking to rationalise its steel plants, and in 1980 there was a strike at British Steel that lasted nearly 14 weeks,

following which some plants closed. This meant there was never enough steel traffic for all the new SPAs hence some were used on other traffic (and an order for 600 additional SPAs was cancelled),

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

The blocks look as though they have locating 'pips' on the top, allowing them to be slotted one on top of the other so could be for some local civ-eng project.

RTT keeps kicking me out, so I've been unable to identify the working.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

The blocks look as though they have locating 'pips' on the top, allowing them to be slotted one on top of the other so could be for some local civ-eng project.

RTT keeps kicking me out, so I've been unable to identify the working.

Brian R

They do key into one another, rather like giant Lego; there were enclosed compounds made of them around the bridge projects in Splott. I suspect the ones in the photo have come from there and are either going on to another project, or are being returned to the hirer.

There have been some used to build retaining walls at the former TML yard at Sevington, currently being used as a base for the High-Output Ballast Cleaner.

These are not being returned, they are produced at castle concrete on the docks. I have used some at my site. We have them to separate bays with product in. They do indeed work like Lego.

These must be off to a project somewhere.

These are not being returned, they are produced at castle concrete on the docks. I have used some at my site. We have them to separate bays with product in. They do indeed work like Lego.

These must be off to a project somewhere.

Thanks for that, Leon; I wasn't aware of a concrete-product manufacturer in the docks. I wonder if they'll do them in a selection of different colours?

Thanks for that, Leon; I wasn't aware of a concrete-product manufacturer in the docks. I wonder if they'll do them in a selection of different colours?

Haaa haaaa. I can ask them when I’m passing...lol

This is unlikely to be a regular flow, since the demand for the blocks will vary in time and place depending on what work is happening.  And since the railway doesn't really handle one-off revenue consignments these days my guess would be an engineering train for some Network Rail site where it's most practical to bring them in by train.  Or could it be that the blocks used around Cardiff were only hired, from the manufacturer, and are now being returned?

This is unlikely to be a regular flow, since the demand for the blocks will vary in time and place depending on what work is happening. And since the railway doesn't really handle one-off revenue consignments these days my guess would be an engineering train for some Network Rail site where it's most practical to bring them in by train. Or could it be that the blocks used around Cardiff were only hired, from the manufacturer, and are now being returned?[/quote

Hi Edwin,

Yes I agree, maybe not regular.

However they are not being returned as I watched them being loaded from the site not being unloaded.

Edited by Leon

Well, 

These did not go far at all, The blocks are being unloaded a few hundred meters from where loaded, They are being used within Tidal sidings just as the track enters from the docks, not sure why but they are being laid alongside the track. I will see if I can get a clear picture.

• Like 1

Well, 

These did not go far at all, The blocks are being unloaded a few hundred meters from where loaded, They are being used within Tidal sidings just as the track enters from the docks, not sure why but they are being laid alongside the track. I will see if I can get a clear picture.

Perhaps a stacking area for the stone traffic that is currently brought in by road to the docks?

Well, 

Once upon a time, the South Wales IEP Depot was proposed for Tidal Sidings, but then moved to Maliphant, Swansea - so that's one job ruled out.

Could it be in advance of the next stage of the A4232 extension toward Eastern Avenue ?

Well they aren't intended for the new Cardiff 'bus station that is being conceived by elves, designed by fairies, built by goblins and will be used by unicorns drawing crystal coaches.

Transport improvements in Cardiff ?

How silly of me.

Once upon a time, the South Wales IEP Depot was proposed for Tidal Sidings, but then moved to Maliphant, Swansea - so that's one job ruled out.

Could it be in advance of the next stage of the A4232 extension toward Eastern Avenue ?

Well they aren't intended for the new Cardiff 'bus station that is being conceived by elves, designed by fairies, built by goblins and will be used by unicorns drawing crystal coaches.

Transport improvements in Cardiff ?

How silly of me.

Ah yes Brian,

It is just off the round about as the track comes under the bridge from the Docks. Could be a retaining wall ? I will grab a picture later of where they are.

Can't help but wonder if this is to separate the area in front of the Western Mail printing works from the operational railway.  Redevelopment of some sort coming?  If I remember correctly, the Western Mail print works is closing / has closed.....