45 xx BR late crest

• RMweb Gold

Remember that the (G) Western Region were very quick at painting anything that stopped in the vicinity of the works in lined green even to the extent of some carrying the early emblem. I have however seen at least one photo of a 45xx in black with the small early emblem, I think on Colour Rail.

• RMweb Gold

Don't know the answer, but suggest it would be worth looking for locos undergoing full overhauls and repaints towards the end of the existence of the 45xx.  Some classes that had been turned out in fully lined green post 1956 with both versions of the crest appeared in plain black at the end of their lives, including 56xx, 5101, and 2251.  

However IIRC any 4575 that survived post 1963, long enough to be sent to Dai Woodham's in Barry, were in lined green.  This is 4575, mind, not 45xx.

A lot of 45XX did not last long enough to get Lined Green, most of the pre WW1 locos in particular were scrapped before 1958 and logically would not have been overhauled at the 75 000 mile intervals the WR used post the introduction of 1956 green livery.   The 45XX were being replaced by DMUs, by surplus 41XX displaced by 61XX displaced by DMUs and by a surfeit of 57XX Panniers displaced by diesel shunters and reclassified as Yellow route availability instead of Blue 1951 allowing them onto the 45XX usual routes so retaining 1927 built small prairies locos when there were lots of newer alternatives made little sense. Post 1962 when they stopped doing planned maintenance the 45XX proved long lived and they found problems finding work for these machines so several found themselves replacing 57XX on Paddington ECS duties, working harder than any small prairie had ever done in the preceding 60 years! Post 62 basically if a 45XX needed significant repair it was scrapped, only locos such as Granges and Halls, 56XX, 41XX and the like which had yet to be replaced with diesels were overhauled after this date needing axlebox attention circa 80K miles, Locos with relatively lightly stressed parts like 45XX  and indeed Castles could exceed this by a considerable margin, but the powerful  inside cylinder 57XX, 94XX and 2251 needed more attention and being newer were in some cases overhauled and so ended in unlined black livery or Unlined Green (I think Halls remained Lined Green)   So basically the 45XX overhauled in 56-62 many at Newton Abbott were lined green and as far as I am aware none were repainted after 62.

Yes it is, Dan. 21st Sep 1961. I bought the image, but I suspect it is a copy, but have no idea who the photographer was. 

Sadly, by the time I ventured in the direction of St Ives the DMUs had taken over. 

I have found this one from the same batch, but taken on 3rd July 1960. Again, no clue to the photographer/copyright, so apologies if I am upsetting anyone. 

The rear loco 4570 is in lined green, but 4549 at the front is difficult to tell as it is so filthy, but it may be in black. 

post-4474-0-74872700-1511691823_thumb.jpg

Photo © Peter Gray

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

On the face of it, 4549 looks to be in postwar GW unlined green under the grime, as it retains it's buffer beam numerals and has no smokebox plate.  As the photo is dated for 1960 and this is the summer timetable with the CRE, it must be at least 12 and a half years since it was overhauled and is likely to have gone for scrap without ever carrying a BR livery, though seems in good enough mechanical order!  

A canddate for the 'Prototype For Everything' thread!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Probably Peter Gray.

Yes it is. It appears in his book "Steam in Cornwall".

The caption explains: "The buffer beam number on No, 4549 is not a relic of GWR days, but was expertly painted by an enthusiastic fireman at Launceston, while the engine was allocated to Laira earlier in 1960"

I have annotated the photo with the credit, but if the mods feel uncomfortable with the image being on this site please remove it, or let me know and I will do that. 

I don't wish to get anyone into trouble.

• RMweb Gold

Yes it is. It appears in his book "Steam in Cornwall".

The caption explains: "The buffer beam number on No, 4549 is not a relic of GWR days, but was expertly painted by an enthusiastic fireman at Launceston, while the engine was allocated to Laira earlier in 1960"

Which reveals the wisdom of qualifying my response with 'on the face of it'!  Presumably the enthusiastic fireman removed the smokebox number plate as well to press the point home...

Edited by The Johnster