Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

gaugemaster f2 not working for lights

jonnyuk

• RMweb Gold

hi all, picked up my bullied loco yesterday from warely, is one thing though that has me stumped and it may turn out to be a fault. the cab light in one direction will not stay on when pressing function 2, it comes on then goes off, if I keep function 2 pressed it stays on. tried a few other 21 pin chips but does the same.

I originally posted this in the kernow section, Jamie suggested it could be a problem with my gaugemaster in that f2 is used for horns, so sends a pulse rather than a on/off.

anyone heard of this?

thanks

In common with most US designed throttles, the MRC/Gaugemaster Prodigy has F2 as a non-latching (ie. push and hold it down) function key.   Its intended purpose was for sounding horns, or similar. 

The fix is to map the lights to a different function key, which is a couple of CV changes.  Exactly which CVs will depend on the decoder installed, and which function key you'd like to use instead.

thanks for info guys and gals. i shall have a play..need to remember what my decoder is now, sure its a Bachmann!

"Its a Bachmann" is one of those helpful and useless answers (not your fault).  Bachmann source decoders from all over, I recall there being old-model ESU, Soundtraxx motor decoders, Zimo's.  And there may be a few more.   So, to give advice we're going to need more information.   Read back CV8 and CV7 and report those, that may help narrow the advice down. 

"Its a Bachmann" is one of those helpful and useless answers (not your fault).  Bachmann source decoders from all over, I recall there being old-model ESU, Soundtraxx motor decoders, Zimo's.  And there may be a few more.   So, to give advice we're going to need more information.   Read back CV8 and CV7 and report those, that may help narrow the advice down.

Over the years, Bachmann have used decoders from Lenz, ESU, Soundtraxx and Zimo.

The only Bachmann branded 21-pin decoders have been....

36-554 - long discontinued - old ESU LokPilot Basic.

36-557 - now discontinued, but many dealers still stock them - Soundtraxx (a sort of MC1/2 hybrid)

36-557 - new, but confusingly with the same product code - current model ESU LokPilot Standard

The Soundtraxx decoder is green, while the ESU decoders are blue.

Ron