Service Suspended !

DonB

An idea for an entry which has become an itch which needs scratching !

It all started with the chance find of a youtube video of a carriage being removed from a pub grounds. 

.The pub is the Nag's Head at Mickleover Derby, the carriage was the Pullman Car No. 85. and was used as a Restaurant for some years. Car 85 was withdrawn in 1972, purchased by a pub chain, and sited at Mickleover probably in 1973 until 1993.  It had been used as part of the SR ElectrIically propelled Sets   http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2257

The Nag's Head is within 100 yards from the Mickleover Club's building, although the time lines do not overlap. Hence the interest, and although Iive about 4 miles from the pub and I remember the coach in situ, I never dined there.

From the cake box modelling in 4mm scale view point, the removal video poses a number of questions: and there appears to be a dearth of pictures on the 'net . I need to get to local archives and pick a few brains at the club.

1. what is the length of the coach? Model length less than (say) 7.5 inches?

2, what was the height of the crane jib used for lifting the coach? (will it fit in the cake box?)  The pub building's height is another limiting factor.

3. I don't remember it's Livery at Mickleover and it is not clear from the video. I would not want to repaint a rtr model.

4. There is a rtr Hornby coach available but looks expensive, and it would need care to avoid damage if I need to sell it later. Are the bogies readily removable?

If the jib height is excessive then a model of it as a static annex to the pub becomes necessary:-  

5. I've been told that it stood on it's wheels on a length of track, Is that true? The video indicates that it was about to be re-united with bogies already on a low-loader trailer.

6. How was it "attached" to the pub ?, I'm told that there was a temporary gangway, for access and food service what did it look like?

The coach later spent some years at the SVR and is now in store for restoring according to the VCR Trust - linked above.

So, a lot to consider before commencing a Cake Box, it may be more suited to a Cameo. so this post is a statement of (hopeful) intent rather than an entry. More later, Probably after Xmas.

• Like 5

I think you will need a Farish Pullman but otherwise it sounds like an interesting idea.

Yes, I've come to that conclusion, It would need space to include Pub (low relief or back-scene), Pullman coach and either crane or low loader.  N gauge / 2mm scale are outside my comfort zone!!  Haven't done any back-of-envelope stuff yet  to assess how it might all be shoe-horned into 8" x 8"