Isle of Wight Terriers

JZ

How were the Isle of Wight Terriers braked. I have yet to find a picture of one with a Westinghouse pump. Asking as I have picked up a Hornby one for conversion the a Wight one. Coal bunker conversion already in hand.

Have a look on the IWSR steam railway website. AFAIK the Terriers were always air braked. The KESR terrier has a Westinghouse pump and air brake valve, but also has vacuum brake for the train brake. 

Maybe IWCR on here can come up with a better answer.

The pump is next to the cab, on the right hand side of the loco, at least in the couple of pictures I found.

Yes, I've seen it now. All the time I was looking around the smokebox. Doh.

AFAIK the Terriers were always air braked.

Almost, but with one notable exception.

When the LSWR purchased Newington to work the Lyme Regis branch they replaced her air brakes with vacuum - when sold to the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport these were retained, and she didn't revert to air until grouping.

She is of course still with us, as W8 Freshwater - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26SCR_A1X_Class_W8_Freshwater

Edited by Christopher125

If you've got a Hornby Terrier, don't forget to remove the main vacuum pipe from between the smokebox, and cab, as they left it on most of their IoW versions. See this topic  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91438-bembridge-iow/ , of my old layout now sold on, been improved ( it is over 20 years old, and due to go to Warley for the 2019 show. :sungum: