Swansea Victoria Railway Station info

Jintyman

I'm wondering if anyone has a track plan of Swansea Victoria station in the late 1950's early 60's.

The Station was the southern most terminus of the Heart of Wales line by the LNWR/LMS/BR(LMR) from Shrewsbury, and from what I can see from the few photographs I've viewed, it was quite simple and straight forward in its design.

The track plan is the most important as I have viewed rather a lot of photos of it, but certainly none of the trackwork of the station throat.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jinty ;)

I'm afraid I was not allowed to SE the links that Statuonmaster provided.

One thing you can do is use the old-maps website. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/265757/192701/13/101329 might get you to a large scale map from around 1948, and there are other dates available. You need to zoom out to see the image. There seems to be a lot of infrastructure around the station, if you are thinking of adopting anything other than the track plan. I was intrigued by the Electric Train Depot just to the north of the station, until I remembered the Swansea and Mumbles line, something different to add to the mix, perhaps.

Thanks all,

Barry, thank you, I will endeavour to search the plan out.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the links you provided Mike, but thank you anyway.

Nick, excellent view thank you, at least it gives me some perspective to the throat of the station. Pretty simple in my eyes, only a slight complication in that it is elongated with both the carriage shed access and the goods yard access.

Time to have a look for more photographs of the actual larger buildings in the area, such as the carriage shed, etc.

There are some pictures on-line showing the trams on the Swansea and Mumbles railway, again another interesting theme.

Thank you all again

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all,

Barry, thank you, I will endeavour to search the plan out.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the links you provided Mike, but thank you anyway.

Nick, excellent view thank you, at least it gives me some perspective to the throat of the station. Pretty simple in my eyes, only a slight complication in that it is elongated with both the carriage shed access and the goods yard access.

Time to have a look for more photographs of the actual larger buildings in the area, such as the carriage shed, etc.

There are some pictures on-line showing the trams on the Swansea and Mumbles railway, again another interesting theme.

Thank you all again

Jinty ;)

Oddly I can't now get the links either.  So what you need to do is -

1. Enter 'swansea victoria signalbox diagram in Google (other search engines are available), this will -

2. Bring up an SRS page listing  LMS Signalbox diagrams, scroll down teh LNWR section and part way down page 3 of the LNWR section on the left jhand side you will find the Swansea Victoria 'boxes.

This link might work? (It did for me)

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/lmsdiagrams.htm

Edited by The Stationmaster

Another thread about Victoria on here recently with various photos, plans, etc

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of the topic, but will have a look, thanks again.

Oddly I can't now get the links either.  So what you need to do is -

1. Enter 'swansea victoria signalbox diagram in Google (other search engines are available), this will -

2. Bring up an SRS page listing  LMS Signalbox diagrams, scroll down teh LNWR section and part way down page 3 of the LNWR section on the left jhand side you will find the Swansea Victoria 'boxes.

This link might work? (It did for me)

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/lmsdiagrams.htm

Thanks again Mike, worked for me.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1