Spring Drive, aka clockwork motors

I'm seeking a source of small square clockwork motors 2" x 2" or thereabouts having a high torque.

If not this size any others that are available.

Can any one assist please?

Edited by john flann

• RMweb Premium

Heh, cheers John. I have just spent a nostalgic hour pottering about the net looking at pictures of clockwork toys. You know, you are right, when we were young toyboxes were full of clockwork toys. Indeed, the first "model railway" I had was clockwork, I guess that goes for quite a few folk on here. Now they seem to be a complete rarity. There are a few meccano clockwork motors out there but they are a bit bigger than you are looking for. 

Anyway, I had a sideways thought and googled "music box mechanisms pics" . I was surprised to find there are quite a few still being made worldwide and some are available fairly cheaply. Not only that , it reminded me that I have a couple, one day I'll find a use for them. 

post-30265-0-41152100-1512250223_thumb.jpg

I don't know whether that is of any use to you, but it jolted my memory and made me think about how much of toymaking is now history. 

I think I'd go for the one on the right in preference to the other....

The smallest Meccano motor is the 'Magic' which is roughly 3" x 2" x 1". It's easily found on eBay for around a fiver or so, but it is non-reversing and the drive is by means of a pulley.