Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early BR stock still used in 1986?

BR37414

As shown in that last pic of the 'fish mixed', the fish wagons were air-braked and thus had to travel on the 15.50 Mallaig - Glasgow/Euston as it was the only Up Mallaig line train that used air-braked stock at that time.

Not only that, they're Interfrigo "ferry" wagons, rather than old-school BR fish vans. I had no idea they had been used like that!

More wonderful photos. May I ask what you guys typed to get those in search on flickr?

I've tried a couple searches but been moderate in success.

After seeing the 37/4s in Intercity and Regional livery plus sectotization as well, I am going to have a hard time staying in 1986.

What year did they get painted in Intercity?

Regional paint was early ninetys I was informed on another thread.

I saw the big circle T as well so thats gotta be 94 to 97 I'm guessing for that scheme.

Which type of fish vans would those be?

Hope its the type I have gives me a reason to keep them.

I put in 'paper train corpach' first and on finding they went to Mossend also tried 'corpach mossend'. it picked out a load of other photos too but not too many to identify more interesting ones out of those returned.

the intercity ones you're referring to might be called intercity Mainline or just Mainline livery in places. it was intended as a general user livery probably around 1988 or 1989 off the top of my head. have a search on Flickr and see what shows up. of class 37s I think only the 37/4s were in that exact livery.

a few other 37/0 and 37/5s were painted later in intercity swallow livery - very similar but with a lighter coloured lower band for the sleepers over the Highland main line and possibly Aberdeen. I think they would have been around 1991 onwards

Depending on how the photos are captioned you might find more searching for stations or locations on the line. That search is likely to pick out more freights than passenger. Using a year in the search can also help filter out more recent photos. There tends to be more recent photos on there - I guess its easier to upload digital pictures now than it would have been scanning slides and uploading them from years gone by. But there can be a lot of interesting shots to find

Another mixed one at Dingwall ....

https://windcutter.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/the-kyle-mixed-and-xp-brandings/

Thanks. Sounds a bit like coals to Newcastle!

Grimsby was (is?) the largest town in the UK for food preparation.

From para 4.1 on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimsby#Food_industry

Today, Greater Grimsby is home to around 500 food-related companies, giving it one of the largest concentrations of food manufacturing, research, storage, and distribution in Europe. The local council has promoted Grimsby as Europe's Food Town for nearly twenty years.[34] In 1999, the BBC reported that more pizzas were produced in the town than anywhere else in Europe, including Italy.[35]

This is the type of van used by Interfrigo http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferryitalianinterfrigo

Lots of mid 1980s wagons on my site.

Paul