RMweb

Weathering Scalescene structures

I’ve just used some Scalescene downloadable brick paper on a new building, and am delighted with the result - much better than I could have achieved with paint on card or embossed plasticard. However it does need selective weathering to tone it down a bit.

If I use my my usual technique - dry brushing diluted acrylic paint - the water in the paint will cause the inkjet printed brick paper to run. What is the alternative? Any water based medium (such as glue to hold weathering powders) will have the same effect.

• RMweb Gold

John Wiffen gives some weathering hints on the Scalescenes website. You can protect the printed surface with a matt acrylic varnish, Testor's Dullcote, artists' matte medium, and a few other fluids that are not water based andtherefore won't spoil the inkjet printout. Weathering powders can then be used to produce subtle weathering effects.

I used Ghiant inkjet fixative spray on my Metcalfe buildings and it did the job of protecting the printed card very well , it's not cheap but I used less than half a can for a mainline station with island platform and canopies plus 3 workers cottages and a small building that comes with a Metcalfe engine shed , I model in N so if you're in oo you'll obviously use more .