An interesting piece of filmed transport history.

My Pa often talked of the DUKW being the 'chosen' transport ashore, during D-Day, as opposed to landing craft of various types, even the D-D Type Sherman.

I don't blame him. Wading up to your chest in water with people shooting at you was clearly awful and being at the bottom of a canvas bathtub that might sink at any moment  unable to do anything till you were ashore possibly worse.  I met a few of them around the time of the 40th anniversary and they told me just how awful though clearly incredibly and rightfully proud of what they achieved that day. We owe people like your father a great deal. 

I can't help thinking that the Carvair engine noise has been swapped to make it sound like like a turboprop, instead of the throaty Pratt & Whitney radial engines that I used to hear as they climbed away from Southend!

Not so much swapped as dug out of the sound effects library. So far as I know the Look at Life films were shot mute - i.e. without sound- which was a lot cheaper and sound effects, music and commentary were all added in post production. An editor might well have just picked any old sound of an airliner taking off and in flight. I agree that the Pratt and Whitney radials do have a very distinctive sound. It's one of my favourite sounds especially when they're attached to a DC3/C47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YECHxEOyY8