Cutting the cake

Andrew Cockburn

@ 009 micro modeller

I think perspective on models, certainly model railways, can often be a bit of a tricky issue, as I know from past experience. For as I may have said before, what will look right from one angle will look “out of focus” or whatever from other angle(s), therefore it can really be a matter of compromising as best we can, but using “tricks”, “cover-ups”, “illusions” or whatever. But thanks again for the positive feedback, much appreciated.

@ GeoffinOz

Thanks for the suggestion and the comment. And yes, I’ll definitely touch-up the “white bits” on the walls/apply a bit of weathering here and there. I’ve also ordered some more graffiti transfers from Hattons of Liverpool to go on the tunnel parapet (as I may have explained previously, the real-life former railway line on which this model is based originally ran through a cutting/under a road bridge, which then became a tunnel when the car park was constructed), though as I’ve said before, quite how in real life the “graffiti artists” manage to apply their “handywork” on the “railway side” of a parapet similar to the one I’ve modelled is a bit of a mystery, to me at least.

Also, re rubbish etc. in the cutting - waste paper and the like can easily be formed from scraps of paper, tissue or whatever, but as for shopping trollies, having googled these on the internet/contacted various stockists i.e. Gaugemaster, Hattons and the like, no-one seems to know of them. I believe such items are available in OO Gauge, but it seems that they’re unknown/unattainable in N, perhaps not such a surprise really, for given their make-up/nature, shopping trollies would be a bit hard to reproduce in N/2mm scale.

Fortunately, bycycles are available in N, and again in line with your suggestion, I’ve ordered some white metal versions from P & D Marsh, which can be “dumped” in the cutting, once they’ve been painted/weathered, and hopefully all the aforementioned modifications can be accomplished in the next week or so.

• RMweb Premium

How about adding another deck to the car park that is fully low relief - so that the spaces you have on top are still visible, but the next level up is narrower and flat to the backscene.  The "insides" could just be dark coloured, with an additional wall and columns between the spaces (you might need to rearrange them slightly).  Not quite the same but something like this, viewed from the right hand end and without the sloped bit in the middle, would give a reason to have a higher deck above the one you have but set back from it.  Hope that makes some sense!

I decided to add a bit of extra detail to “Cutting the cake” in order to try and enhance it’s appearance, first of all I invited the “graffiti artists” back to add some more or their “handywork”, this time on the tunnel parapet - well actually, in all truth, it was my “handywork”, accomplished using graffiti transfers. Also, I added some lineside rubbish (probably thrown down the embankment and/or over the parapet) in the cutting near the tunnel mouth, this was formed formed by cutting up part of a sheet of paper into small, irregular shapes, which were then glued into place, and left white/painted appropriate colours to represent old newspapers, cardboard, etc. Other bits and pieces which I found in my spares box have been used for other rubbish such as piece of cable, an old window frame etc., while an bike and dustbin (both P & D Marsh white metal items) can also been seen - I guess that someone is now in for a rather hefty fine for all this fly-tipping!

post-32881-0-77098000-1519245804_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

@ GeoffinOz ....

Thanks for the reply/comment/feedback, re the graffiti, having some on the parapet does make it a bit more realistic, but as I've said before, I'm still not sure how in real life how anyone would manage to write something on the part of the parapet which is over the tracks (or track in this case), what with no ledge of sorts on which to stand - would they therefore lean over the parapet from the road side maybe?

And re the rubbish, judging by the amount of it, its my guess it was probably one of those large "wheely bins" (the type used by shops/large stores/industrial establishments, in addition to the bin that can be seen in the picture!

Edited by Andrew Cockburn

Very nice model.   Some extra details to add to the  sense of dereliction could be railway apparatus such as abandoned /stripped out lineside location cabinets with the doors left open ,  a vandalised  whistle board,   a couple of smoke deflector troughs  above the track into the bridge, limited clearance signs on the bridge parapet and a few muddy puddles on the cess.

ps  I thought the model was 4mm,  then I noticed the coupling hook on the 04!

Edited by Pandora

@ Pandora

Many thanks for the comment/feedback, much appreciated. Interesting suggestion of yours also re the railway-related “wreckage”, however, I think that rather than include all this on “Cutting the cake”, I’ll keep it all in mind for inclusion on my next cakebox project, plans for which will be revealed sometime soon, so watch this space!