WD 280 Liveries during World War II

Windjabbers

Hi,

I’m trying to find out what livery the WD 280 were delivered in as they were built in in 1943/4. 

We would like to model one which was lent to the LNER during this period before the WD took them back for duties overseas towards the end of the war.

Is the correct livery for a WD 280 operating on the LNER in 1944 is green or black?

Would welcome comments and advice.

Best Wishes

David

I'd have expected the answer to this to be "black and more black", but the first paragraph of the"livery" section in the RCTS green book reads:

The "Austerities" were originally painted in khaki-brown livery, with 2in-high cab side numerals, tender letters and broad arrow motif, all painted in matt golden yellow. From March 1943 the cab numerals became 6in for clarity whilst operating in the United Kingdom, and finally 8in from the end of December 1943. From March 1944 the livery became khaki-green, whilst at a later date "W D" appeared on the tender in 12in letters with a 10in broad arrow motif"

So apparently not

Jim

I'd have expected the answer to this to be "black and more black", but the first paragraph of the"livery" section in the RCTS green book reads:

The "Austerities" were originally painted in khaki-brown livery, with 2in-high cab side numerals, tender letters and broad arrow motif, all painted in matt golden yellow. From March 1943 the cab numerals became 6in for clarity whilst operating in the United Kingdom, and finally 8in from the end of December 1943. From March 1944 the livery became khaki-green, whilst at a later date "W D" appeared on the tender in 12in letters with a 10in broad arrow motif"

So apparently not

Jim

The same information is given in Tourret's "Allied Military Locomotives of the Second World War".  

A similar transition from khaki to "army green" was applied to the 2-10-0s.