Steel Works Signalling

I

I'm intrigued - what are the white cylinders in the background??

Cheers

Alastair

The cylinders are for storage of liquid oxygen, Argon & Nitrogen (a liquid oxy line direct from BOC also fed the plant) . I worked on the plant for over 20 years as GKN then ASW and finally as Celsa and I was the engineer responsible for the the erection of the "new meltshop" in 2005. As was previously said they only used signal lights on the buildings entrances and they were red/green usually mirrored inside the buildings along with a klaxon to make the crane drivers and other staff aware a shunt was in progress. As Brian correctly said there was a barrier crossing across Rover way to access the then Birds scrap yard. The brick cabin contained the switch gear for operating the barriers and "wigwag" lights to stop the road traffic and green/red light signals for the shunt, it was unmanned and only accessed by the shunter who would operate the gates and lights from it. 

Regards

Howard

As Brian correctly said there was a barrier crossing across Rover way to access the then Birds scrap yard. The brick cabin contained the switch gear for operating the barriers and "wigwag" lights to stop the road traffic and green/red light signals for the shunt, it was unmanned and only accessed by the shunter who would operate the gates and lights from it. 

Regards

Howard

I think that is the crossing just visible in this photo http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/alliedsteelwire/e4fdab46

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work in US Steel's Gary Indiana works many years ago. There wasn't any type of track singalling like you would see at trackside. What I did see were red/grren lights that allowed you to enter a building ,blast furnace, etc....Level crossings used conventional type flashers and lights, no gates in certain area of the mill.