CSX CEO Hunter Harrison dies

w124bob

Looking at the article in this month's Trains magazine it seems that he was in a hurry to get things going at CSX -  I wonder if he was already feeling his age and realised that he'd taken on a very big project that required a lot of stamina. He certainly was a force in Canadian railroading and will be remebered for that. As w124bob says, it's sad for his family.

From a short term financial viewpoint his methods were successful, cut any services except the most profitable, get the operating profit figures up. This is a gain for him and the investment team Mantle Ridge who got him into CSX but a loss for pretty much else. Shippers, employees, road users, US taxpayers, people affected by pollution worldwide.

In much the same way that companies in this country get their wage bill subsidised by society, the increase in the value of CSX has been subsidised by society, less directly but equally insidiously. I wonder how many extra deaths his policies will contribute to.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

so was Mr. Stalin !

An eminently reasonable comparison, we all know that the real reason Hunter Harrison left Canada was to escape from the Canadian Mounties who wanted to interview him about 20 million murders he was suspected of committing.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think you can compare Harrison with McGinnis. Well, you can, but only to say one was unpopular but competent and the other was unpopular and not so competent at running a railway. We'll never know what Harrison would have done at CSX but his record at CN and CP was very impressive from a corporate performance perspective.

• 1 month later...