Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 37 differences

Hey folks,

Prior to joining the forums I went on a class 37 buying spree thinking all was right in the world.

I believed that until I unboxed my Bachmann made 37429 and put it next to my 37401. Wow what a difference and quite disappointed. I now have a 37422 in RR on the way.

Now my question is:

Is there anything I can do to revive 37429 and bring it up to par with the new run Bachmanns or is it destined to be left in its box and hope I can sell it?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Bachmann 37's are a bit of a lottery.

The first batch were pretty rubbish, the next batch were better and then they did some pretty good ones.

Then they added some fictional body parts and stretched some parts - back to square one.

The very recent ones are good, but you never know when they're going to shoot themselves in the foot again.

I want a 37049 in Trainload Coal but if they use the same tooling as the previous 37049 in BR Blue, then I'll spend my cash elsewhere.

If you've seen some errors on your model than you can't live with, bung it on eBay with a suitable reserve and see what you get.

The first three were 37238 BR blue, 419 EWS and your one I think,,, as you’ve found out they were not the most accurate of shapes but some of the first wave of new mechanism models that heralded the new era...and arrived in 2003 I think.

I have ltd edition 37142 in blue and I love it, although you can see the shape difference with the new ones

The first three were 37238 BR blue, 419 EWS and your one I think,,, as you’ve found out they were not the most accurate of shapes but some of the first wave of new mechanism models that heralded the new era...and arrived in 2003 I think.

I have ltd edition 37142 in blue and I love it, although you can see the shape difference with the new ones

37429 was a first batch loco as was 37419 in EWS and 37673 in RFD, they were completely mis-shappen 

37238 and 37142 were from the second batch as these were the skirt fitted version. The skirts are the biggest issue but an easyish fix

37429 was a first batch loco as was 37419 in EWS and 37673 in RFD, they were completely mis-shappen 

37238 and 37142 were from the second batch as these were the skirt fitted version. The skirts are the biggest issue but an easyish fix

What was the issue with the skirts rob ? Nose looks a bit like an aavrvark snuffling in the dirt to my eyes

What was the issue with the skirts rob ? Nose looks a bit like an aavrvark snuffling in the dirt to my eyes

The Skirts were 2mm too deep, consequently the buffers were mounted too low as well. I will dig out some photos of the mods I did on mine when I am back home to show what I mean.

• Like 1

IIRC the the most easily spotted difference (error) on the very first version was the 'porch roof' over the doors.

Correct, also the hatches on top of the noses were way too small. The bodysides were too shallow which meant the noses were also too squat. I converted one into 37114 in Dutch livery using the headcode boxes from a Lima 37 and scratchbuilt a load of the detail including new bonnet top doors and struggled to get the headcode boxes between the horn grilles and tail lights such was the squatness of the nose. I was never 100% happy with the result and sold it 12 months later

Edited by 37114

Yes I'd heard That, but wouldn't mind a bit of confirmation. I'd like an early green example, but while 32-787 is the most recent it may not be the best starting point!

37251 in blue was mentioned, and I think that’s correct as I have one somewhere rebooted as 37116.

Until it was pointed out I did t really notice it