Some Amtrak

JWB

Here's a photo of a loco I just put into service, though I got it a couple of years ago

post-8839-127041082634_thumb.jpg

Apparently Athearn wanted to clear these out, maybe not as popular as the others, since they run mostly with Talgo sets, which aren't available (except for the Ibertrain version of the demonstrator). But they don't run exclusively with Talgos, and they cycle down to Los Angeles and back east. At the price the hobby shop had, I couldn't turn it down!

I'm currently working out how to incorporate Amtrak operation on my layout. Since many short and medium-distance services are push-pull or pull-pull, there are lots of possibilities.

Can I ask where you found it...? (and i'm guessing it's not in the UK). I wouldn't mind a Cascades F59PHI, but as you mention the stock is an issue. At a stretch you could use it on some Athearn Sounder commuter cars, but it's duties are pretty much confined to the Cascades Talgo services. When it has been to LA or Chicago for maintenance, it probably wouldn't have been the lead loco, as evidence on the Northwest Railfan yahoo group suggests:

March 19th, 2005:

> A photo on today's Dunsmuir webcam revealed a Sounder unit in the

> late scheme as the trailing unit on the northbound Coast Starlight.

I didn't catch the webcam, but Wednesday's Amtrak #11 had a Cascades unit (470)

behind the lead

Genesis. I take it this was not the same one?

April 12th, 2005:

Amtrak #14 north with AMTK 116, 119, 470; baggage, parlour, ten Superliners

(B+4S+P+6S). Came

past Templeton north switch at 6:43 PM and copied a warrant in Paso Robles at

6:48, about 2h 05m

late. Watch for this one in NorCal, OR, WA.

I got mine at The Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena, CA. They seem to have an in with Athearn and now and then run specials. My receipt says I got it in 2007, though, so they are likely long gone. They have a web site, so you could always try, and they ship worldwide.

I'm not aware of any restriction on them running in the lead, as there's no ATC on those UP lines. The SP was basically a 70 mph railroad. It's just the luck of the draw, and since many West Coast locos have mechanical work done in LA, there can sometimes be two visitors at once in the Starlight consist.

Exactly what other stock the Cascade units run with is also indefinite. I don't believe there are enough Talgos to support every service, so there are Amfleets in regular service on these routes. The Talgos were also withdrawn for an extended period for cracked metal, and I think some Superliner sets were temporary replacements.

The Talgos were also withdrawn for an extended period for cracked metal, and I think some Superliner sets were temporary replacements.

it was withdrawn recently for a few weeks, they had the silver single level amtrak passenger cars (like what is used in the NE of the USA) to replace them, I did not see them using super liners at all, but I do not live 24/7 at the station. out of all the passenger liners on the west cost, I like the tacoma sounder the most.

OK, I found a site that actually explains everything: http://myweb.msoe.edu/~westr/amtemps.htm

From August to October 2007, the Talgos were out of service and replaced by Amfleet and Horizon cars. Also during the Thanksgiving weekend 2008, Amfleet and Horizon equipment was also used. I don't know if the site was updated after that for any subsequent use.

In any case, there's a prototype for operating the Cascades F59PHIs with equipment other than Talgo.

Well, there is a prototype for everything, but I suppose that part of the game is along the lines of being able to say exactly how and when -- and if the when is in the past or the future!

Yes, it's HO.

OK, I found a site that actually explains everything: http://myweb.msoe.edu/~westr/amtemps.htm

From August to October 2007, the Talgos were out of service and replaced by Amfleet and Horizon cars. Also during the Thanksgiving weekend 2008, Amfleet and Horizon equipment was also used. I don't know if the site was updated after that for any subsequent use.

In any case, there's a prototype for operating the Cascades F59PHIs with equipment other than Talgo.

I found a photo of one in August of 2007 taken at the Vancouver, Wa station.

post-6841-127050685117_thumb.jpg

are for fun this one photo is Christmas eve, 2008 take also at Vancouver, WA. BNSF GE 4400 as the motive power.

post-6841-127050685327_thumb.jpg

During Thanks giving there are extra trains on, it is the busiest time of the year for travel.

This one was also a bargain when I got it:

post-8839-127057358911_thumb.jpg

Again, I think everyone thought these just run with California cars, but they arrived before the Cal Cars and ran for quite a while on Horizon and Amfleet consists, which still can be found in California.

Archived