Explanation of Points / Switches, Motors and Extra Power?

I've watched the Everard Junction on using motors for points, but have a couple of questions.

As my layout is fairly wide with no easy access to the rear, I'm delving into motorised point operation for the rear (at the moment).  I've bought some Gaugemaster PM-1 SEEP point motors, switches (on/off/on - auto off) are on their way.

I have insulfrog points, which I know isn't great but it is what it is now and I'm not really interested in changing them to electrofrog at the moment.  So I can safely ignore the sections about wiring up the motor to the point for power.

My question is over power itself.

I have a Prodigy Advance 2.  I plan to run no more than 4 trains at once (probably more like 2), only have one sound loco at the moment.  But I understand it's good practice to have a seperate set of bus wires for signals, points, other things too.  My question is, what do I buy, and how do I wire it up?
The Prodigy Advance supports accessory functions, but I guess I would have to select the Accessory button, then select the number, then push another button for it to change?  When I can flick a switch and the point has changed, I'd rather that at the moment.

I've been suggested a 12-16v supply, but how do I then wire this up to a new set of "accessory" bus wires?
I have one of the Hornby DC controllers but not sure how this would work / if it would work.

Alternatively, I may already have a suitable controller (see first photo here) - would that do?

Thanks

Edited by anotheruser

Hi,

Whilst still a relative newbie, I have recently faced a similar situation on the fiddle yard of my layout build where I have used insulfrog points and solenoid point motors. My layout is DCC, but being old fashioned I want to throw a switch to change points and to this end I have used as my power source the accessory outlet from the same old transformer ( your first picture) via a CDU, and this easily throws the 14 points in the storage yard.

Away from my storage / fiddle yard, I will also be using insulfrog points on the main layout as the track plan requires several curved points that are only available in this format.........however I will be using Cobalt slow action IP motors, again activated by toggle switches but powered throughout with a separate Cobalt PSU.

Hope this helps..........insulfrog points are not a complete disaster, but I have had to solder additional droppers and fit some microswitches to change frog polarity to overcome shorts, so if I was to start again I would probably go Electrofrog for all but the reqd curved points......not a major problem on the hidden storage yard and addressed by the internal switching on the Cobalts on the main layout, but a rookie lesson learned.

Edited by Hound Dog

I have a Prodigy Advance 2 system, and use it to control the points. In terms of operation, you are right, you press Accessory, then the address, enter and then choose 1 or 2 to open or close (it helps if you wire your points in a consistent manner, for example, I use 1 for the leftmost route and 2 for the rightmost route. My plan of 1 for straight and 2 for the curve fell over with a Y point!!)

To operate your points though, you will need some form of decoder just as you do in your locos. Personally, I am a member of MERG and use their excellent accessory decoder kits, but there are a number of other systems available that need no soldering, for example the Megapoints controllers. The MERG kits connect to the track for the DCC commands only, they have an external external 16v power supply providing the power to actually move the points, meaning that the drain on the track current is minimal. I'm not sure how others work but I would guess some will work in the same way whilst others will take power from the track. Typically they will charge a capacitor which provides the power to move the solenoid, meaning that the current draw is more controlled though.

With regards to separate buses, you can run from one - and that is what I did originally. Then Hattons had the Hornby booster at a very low price which tempted me to split into two buses - one for the points and one for the track. The main benefit is that you can still control the points if you have a short on the track - which in my case is normally down to a train approaching points that are set in a conflicting direction.