Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Newcastle - what's going on

Hi all,

Just for information of anyone interested, or who may be traveling through, Newcastle this next week;

Tonight saw the start of major track renewals work, and a total block, Newcastle West Jn. - King Edward Bridge (KEB) - KEB South Jn for ~9 days up till next weekend (inclusive).

All trains to / from ECML South / Carlisle / Durham Coast will be required to use the High Level Bridge (HLB) during this period.

This also means a number of services will be unable to run through, although it is apparently only a short diversion;

The KEB has 4-tracks carrying services for the three routes mentioned;

On the route via the HLB, although some sections may appear to be double track, the junction arrangements mean that it's effectively single line throughout from Central station to KEB South Jn for accessing to / from both the ECML South and the Carlisle line.

Also it means North Main Line and South via HLB movements conflict at Newcastle East Jn.

Additionally, the proximity of the possession limits to the west end of the platforms, means all trains entering the station (inc from the North) will be slowed and do so on authority of position light signals under permissive working regulations.

All through trains will also, of course, have to 'change ends' / reverse direction (although VTEC ones are re-manned here anyway)

'Interesting times' for the operators; presumably such freight that uses the route nowadays will be sent via the Newcastle and Carlisle?

Interesting point on the freight, presumably WCML then either N & C or S & C.

As  noted above, everything has to reverse direction in Central station. The possession limits at the west end platform ends mean no run-round facilities, and most freight probably wouldn't get in clear of the East Jn either.

Besides, most freight's banned from the High Level Bridge anyway, it's something like RA5 these days

The track and point work particularly is now over 35 years old and in part life expired.

Not so much of the in part bit though, the present trackwork all dates from the re-modelling work at electrification.

Most of the work taking place is 'switch and crossings renewals', hence the week long total block.

Not so much of the in part bit though, the present trackwork all dates from the re-modelling work at electrification.

Most of the work taking place is 'switch and crossings renewals', hence the week long total block.

And presumably predates the general use of concrete bearers, in which case I would expect the state of the timbers (and their ability to retain the rail fixings) to be the ultimate limiting factor.

Jim

What a fabulous film - thanks

Obvioulsy done at the weekend - everybody wearing their Sunday best suits!  Also noted that some of the parts of track had been ferried in from the GW and the LMS.

I love Newcastle - great place.

9837739125_d6e47bd686_b.jpg

Newcastle Central Station - Post Mark 1940

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I tend to be rather cautious in re-reporting the media.  They have a habit of exaggeration and sensationalism.   :onthequiet: 

Obvioulsy done at the weekend - everybody wearing their Sunday best suits!  Also noted that some of the parts of track had been ferried in from the GW and the LMS.

Ray

Probably not - the whole crossing was engineered by Edgar Allens, in Sheffield, and by the time that film was shot, the railways had been nationalised, so every wagon was common user. The presence of ex-GW and ex-LMS wagons doesn't mean that their contents came all the way from the GW and LMS areas, only that as wagons, they were to hand at the time.

Jim

9837739125_d6e47bd686_b.jpg

Newcastle Central Station - Post Mark 1940

Ray

If I remember correctly, by the time that photo was taken, some of the famous crossing lines had already been removed? In other words, at one time it was even more complex?

• Like 1

I tend to be rather cautious in re-reporting the media.  They have a habit of exaggeration and sensationalism.   :onthequiet:

Personally, I'd tend to be rather cautious of re-reporting the media if they reported that the sun will rise in the morning

No need for copying media reports here (hint; check my avatar ;) )