new layout attempt

Jonboy

• RMweb Gold

I am planning to attempt a new layout (having not completed one for myself yet...)and wonder if someone could take a look over my initial plans for something loosly based on Newquay of 100 years or so back. Any feedback would be welcome.

It is in N and to measure 14"x72". In time I intend to add a 14"x36" to the curve and then another 14"x72". Grid is at 6" intervals and based on using Kato unitrack which I have coming out my ears from previous attempts.

Thanks

Jon

4493749054_0fba635074.jpg

• RMweb Gold

With your design the only place to run round goods train is in the platforms. Also there is no headshunt and would have to use the down main running against the normal direction. On a model this can restrict access in and out of the station. one hundred years ago Newquay had a further connection with a single slip before the up and down mains became single track. Providing additional run round opportunities. Later there was a connection from platform three joining the line from the shed to the goods yard. This would work well on a model giving good possibilities for the goods whilst leaving platforms 1 & 2 clear.

Donw

• RMweb Gold

Yes its better. Ideally the cross over at the shed end would be futher along from the platforms, but it is always a question of space. The turnout in the goods yard would be useful on a goods shed road but with only two sidings is not going to help much. You could always combine the two crossovers near the shed by using a double slip if you like complicated trackwork.

Donw

Archived