RMweb

Class 08 shunter. Likely 1966 livery?

Mim

Does anyone know the likely livery for a 350hp shunter number D3778 around 1966? This would later be class 08 08611 and survives to this day. It was used for an unsuccessful trial on the Cromford and High Peak line, which is why I am interested in it and the date.

There is a photo showing the rear three quarters of this loco at Wellingborough. No date, but it has a ferret and dartboard logo on the side. This photo, although monochrome suggests green, with red buffer beams and rods and black frames going by the shades of grey. You can't see the front, so would it have had wasp stripes at that end, plain green, or yellow panel?

Thanks,  Mim

• RMweb Premium

I would date the photo as earlier than 1966. I doubt very much if there were any 350s left without wasp ends by 1966. As an LMR enegine I would also expect it not to have its ladders any more.

The neat looking LNER Toad doesn't have any OLE warning flashes again not many would be without these by 1966. 

The date taken states June 20th 1964 so that would seem plausible. D3778's following reallocations were as follows:

03/04/1965   Reallocated to Leicester Midland (15A)     15/01/1966   Reallocated to Burton (16F)     30/04/1966   Reallocated to Longsight (9A)

from the BR database site. There are no specified works visits but it could have gained wasp stripes at any time.

Thanks Clive and Flood,

So wasp stripes are a reasonable assumption for 1966. I didn't spot the date on the photo page, or think to check the shed allocation in BRDatabase. Longsight is in Manchester, so a short hop over to the C&HPR for the trial there in August 1966. I am happy with that. Not sure if I will build this loco or not yet. It was used for one day only on the line I am modelling, but I do fancy one. 

Mim