Class 25 on the Kent &East Sussex

crompton 33

I think I would take some of the figures being banded about with a pinch of salt, only the wealthiest loco owners would go for a full contractor restoration - and contractor's prices can vary enormously anyway.

With a spare power unit on site, the main costs will be the repair of electrical machines etc - if they do require removal and full re-winding/varnishing etc it may be costly - but shopping round can save money. For example a few years ago, a defective Derby/Sulzer generator was repaired/overhauled for approx. £5000, I am informed by the owner (he does have a good range of contacts for this sort of work). Another issue may be tyre thickness/flange wear and whether the axle journals are in good condition, but as the loco has been moved around recently I suspect at least the latter may be okay.

Don't get me wrong - its feasible this could cost £250,000, but that's based on the assumption the owners are complete novices and contract out all the work to contractors at the very highest prices.

However, it sounds like the owners - though pushed for time like everyone else - know a bit about loco's, but it would help if the railway itself can lend them a hand. The main thing now is the loco getting undercover accommodation as soon as possible so that work can be started.

Regards,

Paul

A far cry from its state when operational at Swanage. It looks like a cannibalise (already well advanced from appearances) and cut job to me.

John

John,

If you read through some of the previous posts, many of the parts had been removed for safe keeping elsewhere on site.

Regards,

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

A far cry from its state when operational at Swanage. It looks like a cannibalise (already well advanced from appearances) and cut job to me.

John

Forgive my ignorance, I thought it hadn't worked since withdrawal from BR?

Fundraiser event anyone...?

I would have to know who are in the owning group and what their intentions were, I have handed over money on several occasions for specific locos only to see the owning group scrap the loco and use the money for something else. 

I appreciate that once I hand the money over it is for them to do with as they see fit but it is still annoying.

However, it sounds like the owners - though pushed for time like everyone else - know a bit about loco's, but it would help if the railway itself can lend them a hand. The main thing now is the loco getting undercover accommodation as soon as possible so that work can be started.

Regards,

Paul

Covered accommodation is at a premium at most Pres lines so they wont allow any loco to use it unless there is a costed and timed work plan.

Covered accommodation is at a premium at most Pres lines so they wont allow any loco to use it unless there is a costed and timed work plan.

Yes, stating the obvious there really (cases of loco's hogging shed space for years with glacial progress tends to create animosity from other groups) , but having kept an eye on developments with this particular loco over the years, it was announced, some years ago now, that they hoped to have go this in the shed at the K&ESR for restoration. As to why this didn't happen I don't know - but if any attempt is going to be made to restore 25244 it's going to be even more of a real to do it in the open air.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

D7594 was still on the Headcorn headshunt at Tenterden last week, with no change other than continued rusting & deterioration including the bogie frames. It's not yet a 'project impossible' but likely to be unaffordable...

I have already stated that the loco is owned by TREATS Ltd., the same company that own the 04, an 08 and the DMMU operating on the KESR. The 25 will be moved into the C&W workshop as soon as space is available so I've been told. 

I was in touch with the secretary of TREATS the other week and that is the intention. There was also an offer of funding from an outside source but have been told that funding is in place for the restoration of the class 25. Once work is underway railway volunteers usually crack on and Do Things. Changing the engine won't be a problem, the railway has a couple of breakdown cranes available for that purpose.

I am aware the loco has been moved around Tenterden station area several times since being dragged out of the Headcorn headshunt. Workshop space is at a premium and there's more pressing things to do, restoring another Mk1 for service, a Pullman kitchen car to do and the GWR Railcar is progressing well. The C&W have also rebuilt the district Railway 4 wheel coach and other 4 wheelers are in the workshop. these cannot be moved and even if they could the space they occupy is not suitable for a heavy rebuild like the 25.

• Like 1

Would throwing a tarpaulin over the roof to prevent water ingress be too much trouble, with it being window and side grille less the amount of water damage likely over the next winter wont help the restoration, if the loco is already covered then I withdraw my suggestion.

As far as I know, all windows and side grills are now boarded up with boiler room grills still in place. Rads group mesh grills missing and open to elements but I guess the water tanks are shot anyway. As it stands at moment she is sealed up better than she has in many years

A Manchester Victoria pilot regular, the pictures I found show it in quite a poor state in it's final couple of years. Rot along the cab bottoms and partially missing guttering, glad I'm only doing a model of it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60854097@N06/24061528435

https://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/8592253286/

Forgot she had ploughs