Kato Tram Chassis DCC Suggestions

Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

I've just ordered a Kato 4 wheel tram chassis to make a box cab type loco for my HOe layout. My other HOe locomotives have TCS or Roco decoders. I'd be grateful for any suggestions for appropriate for a decoder for the Kato chassis (or any other advice about this chassis).

Tony

Guest 009matt

Hi I have fitted a number of these with a dcc chip. Step 1 - remove the capacitor and bin. 2. Remove the white nylon clip that holds the two brass strips that run the length of the chassis to the motor terminals. 3. Fold out the motor terminals and replace the nylon clip, making sure that the motor terminals are now outside of the clip anjd not touching the two brass strips. 4. Solder your chip to the rlelevant parts, red and black to the brass strips, orange/grey to the motor terminals. 5. test on your track.

Tips.

Take care with the brass strips, they are the pickupas and can easily become distorted, they need regular tweaking to get them to pick up reliably.

Get lots of weight over the chassis. Skin and custard spring to mind otherwise.

I use the Hornby DCC chips and they work well.

Hope this helps.

matt

• RMweb Gold

Hi I have fitted a number of these with a dcc chip. Step 1 - remove the capacitor and bin. 2. Remove the white nylon clip that holds the two brass strips that run the length of the chassis to the motor terminals. 3. Fold out the motor terminals and replace the nylon clip, making sure that the motor terminals are now outside of the clip anjd not touching the two brass strips. 4. Solder your chip to the rlelevant parts, red and black to the brass strips, orange/grey to the motor terminals. 5. test on your track.

Tips.

Take care with the brass strips, they are the pickupas and can easily become distorted, they need regular tweaking to get them to pick up reliably.

Get lots of weight over the chassis. Skin and custard spring to mind otherwise.

I use the Hornby DCC chips and they work well.

Hope this helps.

matt

Thank you for the conversion and general running advice.

Tony

Archived