Non DCC HST Non-Powered Car on Layout

Sir TophamHatt

I have an HST non-powered vehicle that I use as a push around test train to make sure track alignment is okay and such.

I was fiddling with it the other day and when putting it back on the layout, the unit buzzed and the lights came on.

I didn't realise the lights were even working as they haven't before that I can recall.

It doesn't have a DCC chip, but will leaving it on the layout cause any problems?

Not particularly planning to leave it on much longer but more out of interest.

What scale? what make? what age? = are the lights LEDs or Bulbs.   Used on Analogue dc are they directional or uni-directional or on all the time?

Please help us to help you !

The first thing to notice with bulbs on dcc is that they will get warm to hot - and the nearby plastic will be warm and possibly melt - because it it was designed only with analogue in mind (eg the Bachmann non-dcc ready  00 Units) - the bulbs (red and white would  both be on and instead of only occasionally being at 'maximum speed= maximum  brightness   it will be brighter and for 100% of the time  ... more heat ...more tan desinged for ... plastic softens and distorts....   (Early bulbs were '12V' but now if bulbs are used or replaced they should normally be '16V'.  LEDs are protected by resistors against excessive current - but early examples were not designed for DCC or easy conversion - eg  they were wired in 'inverse parallel' (in opposite directions in parallel, and then usually sharing the same resistor and 2 connecting leads across the track... +ve on right = 'forward'.

For easy dcc use with 8pin and similar decoders, the directional lights would have 3 wires: a common +ve and a low-active to each direction's LED.

If wired for 6-pin decoders - as more common with N gauge - the track is used as the return path for lights.

So is it a Lima HST, early Hornby HST (bulb), modern shape and heavy chassis unit (LEDS with suitable circuit board ie dcc ready) or a Dapol N gauge ???

Sorry, I thought I wouldn't need a huge amount of detail.

Scale: OO (as per my signature)

Make: Hornby / Lima (did anyone else make any?)

Age: Old.  I don't know how old but I have no doubt it's bulb-type lights, not LED.

Don't know about DC as I don't own many other DC locos.  Suppose I could connect any old DC loco to it and see what happens.

I guess I am simply drawing power from the track for no reason as it'll be like the DC power is on full all the time.