Diode voltage

Pete the Elaner

I plan to use frog polarity for route indication.

I have taken a feed from each bus back to the panel as well as a connection to each frog switch.

Do I need a resistor for every diode or would 1 between the each of the bus feeds & the diode matrix be sufficient?

From memory, I will have about 12 LEDs running from each bus.

If your circuit is something like the top drawing then you might want to consider adding diodes (1N4004 or similar) as per the bottom drawing

post-28417-0-85995900-1518771861_thumb.png

DCC is an AC voltage

With an AC voltage across a LED on one half cycle the LED conducts & its current is limited by the resistor & the voltage across the LED is its rated voltage

On the other half of the cycle there is no current flowing through the resistor & therefore no voltage drop across the resistor, the result is you have the full DCC voltage across the LED & this could cause the LED to fail

John

• Like 1

If your circuit is something like the top drawing then you might want to consider adding diodes (1N4004 or similar) as per the bottom drawing

attachicon.giffrog powered led.png

DCC is an AC voltage

With an AC voltage across a LED on one half cycle the LED conducts & its current is limited by the resistor & the voltage across the LED is its rated voltage

On the other half of the cycle there is no current flowing through the resistor & therefore no voltage drop across the resistor, the result is you have the full DCC voltage across the LED & this could cause the LED to fail

John

Thanks for mentioning it, but I was already aware of & planning around.

My intention was not to use a plain diode for the reverse but a red LED, placing this on the line which was not chosen.