Old Precision paints compatible with modern thinners?

I have some old Precision paints pre 1928 GWR green that, being a skinflint, I am loathed to throw and would rather use.  I exchanged emails with Mr. Phoenix-Precision some while ago who assured me that the paint would be perfectly usable as long as the tins weren't rusty, though they would need a lot of stirring!  There is no sign of rust externally, as far as I remember, I have never opened these.

In Ian Rathbone's video he uses Precision green to airbrush and when he opened the tin the contents were black but he said no problem because the green pigment settles to the bottom and stirring would sort this.  The same happened on opening my tin.

I stirred and thinned with white spirit, as is common, and airbrushed onto a loco body.  Towards the end I noticed a sheen appearing in the spray cup and some of this transferred to the model with a coppering effect.  On cleaning up I noticed that the mixed paint in my mixing bottle now had a red layer.  Now that the loco has had time to dry, the finish is good but the colour is virtually black!

It occurred to me that 1970's paint may not be compatible with modern thinners so before another coat, I tried some experiments.  I let some of the paint down with Humbrol enamel thinner and another with Pure Turpentine.  Here are the results in the pots:

post-13283-0-14074300-1518813279_thumb.jpg

The enamel thinned one on the left has completely broken down and the colour changed from green to reddish brown.  On the right, that thinned with Pure Turpentine has, thus far, remained true to the original green.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?  I have searched the forum for clues.

Take the manufactureres advice!

Not too long ago I had problems with Phoenix paint coming out 'odd' colours and when I queried it with the manufacturer they put it down to me mixing their paints with Humbrol thinners.  Being naturally cynical, I assumed they were trying to con me into buying their thinners but a nagging doubt persuaded me to follow their advice and try again.

And they were right!

I remain cynical but, where paint is concerned, I am willing to concede that the people who make the stuff know both what they are talking about and better than us!

• RMweb Gold

1970`s Precision post 1928 GWR green.

Thinned for airbrushing with El Cheepo White Spirit 2012

post-17779-0-01130100-1518814908_thumb.jpg

Job done !!

1970`s Precision GWR coach cream and GWR coach brown.

post-17779-0-26951800-1518816802_thumb.jpg

Thinned with Xylene thinners (which is quick drying) and airbrushed 2015

post-17779-0-46683000-1518815074_thumb.jpg

no probs.......!!!

John

Edited by ROSSPOP

Well I have a few tins of precision paint from the Cheltenham address proberly bought in the eightys one or two which have been part used, despite which.a lot of elbow grease and a drop of thinner has brought them around

The ninety eightys GWR loco green used to come in three shades back them (excluding the early pea green) the first of which was very dark until stirred and stirred, of course if it has tiny bits in it their proberly hardened pigment bits and it's had it