Swindon works then and now

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just spent an enjoyable 30 minutes reminiscing about the Swindon works glory days

I first visited in January 1975, it’s quite startling to see how it’s been developed to a non-Swindonian

I’ve been to the outlet village, but my last works visit was the open day in May 1979.

Neil

• Like 6

I’ve just spent an enjoyable 30 minutes reminiscing about the Swindon works glory days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xMT7NzIGrA&sns=em

I first visited in January 1975, it’s quite startling to see how it’s been developed to a non-Swindonian

I’ve been to the outlet village, but my last works visit was the open day in May 1979.

Neil

Very good - but very sad :(

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Neil.

As 101 says, so sad - even now all those feelings and emotions from the closure announcement come back. And then, as now, I had no more connection with the works than as an enthusiast in a neighbouring town. I did manage to visit on two occasions to see it as a working site, and also at an Open Day - if only I'd not been so lococentric then and taken photos of the Works itself.

Swindon has moved on, but its good to see films like this to back up personal memories.