Merchant Navy class '35006, Peninsular & Oriental S.N. Co.'

Ceptic

Hi all.

A question has arisen during conversations with friends as to whether said locomotive '35006' ever visited the Bournemouth area ?, either in original form or rebuilt ?

The loco was Salisbury based throughout it's existence, and photos of it working the SR / BR(S)'s West of England main line are abundant.

The thing is, I've got the loco underlined in my '63 ABC and I'm sure I've seen it at the Central station, but, without hard evidence (preferably photographic) I'm at a loss to prove my case.

Can anybody help ?

• RMweb Gold

In my experience, Bournemouth and WoE shedded locos regularly got swapped over when they went to Nine Elms between trips. It has been suggested that it was done deliberately to even-out mileage accrual. 

In a relatively short spotting spell (1961-1964) I saw every Bulleid Pacific bar one (34103 Calstock) through Axminster. I did see the loco elsewhere and I have also seen photos of it west of Yeovil so not seeing it on my home patch was purely a matter of timing.

I'd think the real rarities at Bournemouth would most likely be those non-rebuilt 72A Light Pacifics that spent much of their time working west of Exeter, Chard, 222 Squadron, and Blandford Forum spring to mind.   

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling